is it just condensation?

keiran D

My zed seems to be a little smoky, its a greyish white and seems to hang around a little. I know the weather is cold and i only make short journeys so could just be down to this but it is concerning me slightly. Don't seem to be using any fluids but as i said i don't do many miles.

There is a little build up of gunk on the oil filler and the exhaust tips are a little white inside. Any clues there?

Car has just had a service when a brought it 2 months back.

What's everyone else's zed like in these conditions?

The gunk on the oil filler is white?

Condensation does occur on the oil filler so dont panic.

Pull your dipstick out, are there any white bits in the oil there?

Do an oil change, check the oil for white gunk to be 100% sure! Lets hope theres no water in the oil.

The white gunk on the tips sometimes means you could be running a bit lean.

Personally I would check the above.

P.S - I'm no expert!

Edited by Dave-350

My wife's car (not a zed) has a little gunk on the filler cap, she only does short journeys too. I changed the rocker cover gasket at the weekend and it was only the cap area that had a bit, so more than likely condensation. If its only a bit, give it a wipe and see if it returns. I wouldn't worry if its not thick

Yeah im not overly concerned about the gunk. My wife has a 2l beetle and they are know for this problem so didn't panic when i seen it on mine.

Oil on dip is clean. Im pretty sure its fine, i brought the car from jaguar and it had full service history and health checks. I've contacted then about the issue, just awaiting reply.

Im just looking into what it could be if its more sinister of an issue and if there is any other things to indicate what it may be. Thanks

Check your not going through water or its smoking a hell of a lot. My car smokes a bit but I don't use any oil or water.

The white stuff is most likely water which is getting hot enough to burn off. Take it for a long drive and give it abit of abuse and it will be fine.

The white stuff is most likely water which is getting hot enough to burn off. Take it for a long drive and give it abit of abuse and it will be fine.

+1, You need at least 4 or 5 miles to get rid of it and the longer it stands the worse it gets.

Pete

As others say, take it for a good run and have a little low gear fun in it for an hour or so.

I had a 749 Ducati and the viewing window was completely clouded over white, took her out and ragged the ass off it for a while and it's crystal clear again :thumbs: