New Tyres (+ anyone want a sat nav DVD?)

Andrew

Hi folks, got new Falken 452s fitted. Used a group called Philip White tyres in Northern Ireland. Absolutely brilliant job. Laser tracked / balanced. New car altogether. No noise. I'd consider actually crossing the water again to get it done with them. Very impressed. Each 'computer' on each wheel they got in for apparently £2000 or so.

And 350z was actually stored in the computer database which is a new one on me. Normally garages look blankly and 'have a go'.

Downside now. OK, maybe i'm being picky here i agree and maybe the tyres need to 'bed in'?? Bone dry road, sun splitting the sky. Turned out of a junction in a quiet country area, accelerated hard from 1st /maybe 10mph and the 'slip' message was flashing like a beacon. Very very slight 'slalom' also. 2nd on ok.

Let's stop kidding ourselves - hard 1st gear acceleration on this car, in my opinion at the moment, goes 'nowhere' compared to more expensive cars. If the 350z acually got the power to the road it would be some car. But it just doesn't. Or is that harsh? I love this car but you have to say...

I've driven a 911 and the difference in getting the power to the road from 1st gear is overwhelming. But then that is maybe an unfair burden to put on the 350z. I'd guess the S2000/Boxster are similar to the 350z.

Has anyone done 0-60 timed runs? What were the times / did the car stick?

aside: i am selling a Nissan Sat Nav DVD i used in the 350z from a Nissan xtrail. Have updated to the latest disc as needed a couple more countries but this is very up to date. Was a 2004 xtrail disc.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... &rd=1&rd=1

Andrew

same happened with my new rears. Think they are getting a bit better, but sometimes on sweeping bends the esp still kicks in :dry:

it never did it when I got the wheels/tyres brand new the first time round.

I had a timed 3 runs to 1/8th mile (incl. 0-60 sprint time) and did 5.7sec.

The problem with launching the Z is traction.

same happened with my new rears. Think they are getting a bit better, but sometimes on sweeping bends the esp still kicks in :dry:

it never did it when I got the wheels/tyres brand new the first time round.

I had a timed 3 runs to 1/8th mile (incl. 0-60 sprint time) and did 5.7sec.

The problem with launching the Z is traction.

wonder Val if it's something to do with the suspension changes you've made

I'd guess the S2000/Boxster are similar to the 350z.

Andrew,

After owning a S2000 before, I'd say the S is worst at getting traction than the Zed! You could spin those rears anyday you wanted, especially as its a lot lighter car! :blush:

My traction control did the same for about 2 days when I had my wheels laser aligned etc. Not entirely sure why but I put it down to computers re calibrating themselves on whatever info it is receiving.

As for the acceleration point in 1st gear I'm not sure what the point is? You want it shorter to feel faster? Longer so you hit a higher speed? :wacko:

interesting, could be i need to bed them in a bit. Amazing it could be worse with the S2000. S'pose point is wouldn't it be great if the car actually applied the power to the road from 1st. You lose tons of momentum painting the road black.

Could probably get out punched by a Volvo T70 full of wardrobe and clutter if we don't have a perfect tyre/conditions/ECU combo.

ok, sorry - sarcasm a bit much there

Will wait tillthey are bedded in a bit more. Very pleased with the rumbling noise reduction. Car is silent inside at low speeds.

Always had this problem with all my cars when I got new tyre's on a hot day.

Makes the trip home a lot more interesting.

If you turn sharp, don't spin wheels but give it a bit of power it'll feel like the rubber is melting as the car slides. Like it's running over water.

Cant wait to get new rubber now. :teeth:

Guy

I fitted MPS's to my rear wheels on the friday before the wales meet. The stones pior to them so so bald the thread was showing through :scare:

Once the MPS's weer on the ESP was having a field day! It even came on once whilst braking :surrender:

Suffice to say they are now superb :D

Check out my tyre review.

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&start=45

I had the exact same problem when i got my Falkens a few week back. For the first few days they were like they were coated in oil and i had loads of oversteer but having bed them in abit now there sooo much better. Top tyre, just give it a week or so and you'll see they'll improve alot.

Check out my tyre review.

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&start=45

I had the exact same problem when i got my Falkens a few week back. For the first few days they were like they were coated in oil and i had loads of oversteer but having bed them in abit now there sooo much better. Top tyre, just give it a week or so and you'll see they'll improve alot.

Just out of curiosity where did you get them from?