Smart repair or maybe a full respray...

Stutopia

I noticed some small issues with my Zed's GM paint, couple on the roof and one on passenger door, each no bigger than a minor cigarette burn. I sent some photos off to a body shop and also asked if they would de-badge whilst it was in there and pop on my new shiny black Zed badges. Got a quote of about £400 to paint the 2 full panels and pop the badges off. This got me thinking, what if I get the whole thing resprayed, it would take care of the small stone chips on the front as well and I always wanted blue or black, now's my big chance.

Questions:

1) would a full colour change have a catastrophic effect on the resale value?

2) might a smart repair job on these marks, followed by a vinyl wrap be a better idea?

3) how long does a wrap last if you take care of it?

4) any other suggestions on tackling these that I haven't thought of?

5) is it legal to shoot seagulls if they cr@p on your car?

IMG_1462_zps7d01a364.jpg

IMG_1453_zps04002a31.jpg

Please ignore the tatty door handle, they're next on my list.

1) would a full colour change have a catastrophic effect on the resale value?

Depends on what it is, but generally no, although a vinyl wrap can be hiding unknown damage underneath as you never know what its like till you remove it, which can put some buyers off. if your looking at a full paint job then its about £2k for exterior only and near 4K if you have all the engine bay and door shuts done etc.

2) might a smart repair job on these marks, followed by a vinyl wrap be a better idea?

Not a bad idea, but a vinyl wrap can lift smart repairs when you reomve thevinyl if your not careful.

3) how long does a wrap last if you take care of it?

How longs a piece of string; depends on the vinyl who fitted it, how its cared for,, what the weathers like. there are some new finishes out there that are good for 10 years. i'm looking into some stuff from the states but its not cheap

4) any other suggestions on tackling these that I haven't thought of?

no

5) is it legal to shoot seagulls if they cr@p on your car?

yes

Thanks for the info RT, was thinking it would be more like £1500 after the quote, those prices are a bit beyond what I wanted to spend. I guess I'll take the repair for £400 and start researching the vinyl to get the colour change I'd like at a future date.

As for the seagulls, guess ill just have to stick to feeding them dry rice :teeth:

Went down today. They're gonna fix the roof and respray it, passenger door and respray it, a small ding in the wing (which I only just noticed) and do the de-badge on the back and swap in my new super black Z badges for the nissan burgers. £450, seems pretty reasonable to me.

Once I get the paint right I might do the vinyl just to protect it from more damage!