Continuing roof problems

twobears

I hope I've posted this in the right section?

Basically, my roof had a couple of rips in it ('06 Roadster) so I took it back to the dealer for repair but they somehow ended up putting an entirely new roof on, without my permission :angry: Doesn't sound too bad until you realise that when I collected the car, drove out of the dealership a few hundred yards, parked and tried putting roof down, got showered with bits of metal, the roof wouldn't go down properly (or back up) and they had managed to gouge three large chunks of paint out of the back of the car, one of which was so bad that it was down to bare metal :rant:

I have been in dispute with them ever since and taken the car back umpteen times. I have just been away for a week so I agreed to let them keep the car whilst I was away because although they had fixed the paintwork the roof has never been satisfactorily fixed and doesn't fold away properly the first time you attempt the operation. It often works the second time but something is clearly wrong and the boot seems out of alignment.

So, after having my car for just over a week (not counting all the other weeks they have kept it previously) they still haven't fixed it and I am getting pretty fed up. Has anyone ever had a problem like this? They are suggesting that it is a problem with the roof motors and are debating whether or not to fit new ones. Not sure how much these cost but no doubt they will be expensive so I hope to get it done under warranty but wonder if I am being stupid letting this dealership do any more work on my car considering how much damage they have caused so far? I have e mailed Nissan HQ to get their opinion on the situation. I haven't got the money to spare to pay for the work to be done elsewhere which would be my preferred choice.

When I changed mine (not at a dealer) I had the same problems.

The metal is to do with them needing to drill the rivet? (Hope I got the correct term) to fit the new elastic band. They should remove the plastic cover on the end of the tube and clear them all out before handing it back.

Mine is also tempermental after the change, they says it is because it is new so it is tight and will improve with use and temperature. I am waiting until it warms up before trying it again.

You are not alone on this...

What temperature is it there?

The roof on the zeds isnt recommended to be used below a certain temp. I used to find when i first got mine, it would stick half way through the close procedure if the weather was cold. In summer, the material is softer and everything seemed to work fine.

There is a specific way to align the hood and the guides etc.. should need lubricating etc. I wonder if they have the relevant experienced mechanics there in order to do it. It certainly isnt an easy job. When I saw my zed having its roof re-alligned, they had basically stripped half the car down. It looked like someone was in the middle of scrapping my car. Interior out, speakers, boot floor, loads of stuff out.

Im impressed though that they fitted a new roof, they arnt cheap, so in theory if it was working fine you have got a good deal there!

st519, sorry you are suffering problems too :(

It's not too cold here but when the problem first became apparent it was quite warm so temperature not an issue.

Garage have now stopped fitting new parts though and that is why we have an impasse. I've posted another thread in Warranty Issues since I posted this one because the service manager called me with the bad news that they were trying to wash their hands of the whole thing :(

I tried to use trading standards last year when I had some sub-standard building work done and they were real toothless tigers. I had to pay another builder to finish the job in the end :angry:

And I enjoyed the payment ;):lol:

With regards your roof, Good call on a PM to Ricey. If another forum member can help then thats all to the good :)

Don't let them bully their way out of their responsibilities.