05: cubby sat-nav, rev camera, iphone etc

Dal123

Hi guys, after just getting a Milltek exhaust and bearing in mind I still love my Z as from the first day I got it I've decided I'm going to be keeping it for a fair few more years and I think the car needs updating.

It still looks mint and the only thing letting it down is sat-nav. I have a cubby-hole where sat-nav should be and I have an Iphone 5 and Ipod classic and I want to be able to use them properly in the car. I would love it if a sms message would come up on the screen when received, or even emails.

I currently have bluetooth with the bose system.

Essentials of what I want:

1. Sat Nav;
  2. Rear View Camera;
  3. Iphone 5, Ipod Classic integration;
  4. Ability to receive directions and listen to music at same time;
  5. Speed Camera detection;

Not Essential but a bonus:

1. TV;
  2. DVD;
  3. The option of a front camera also and to record all activity on your journey; this is incase any idiot comes crashing into me and we have to go to court;

I don't know whether to go for and if it is an option:

1: Seperate sat-nav in cubbby, with bose replaced with a head-unit so I can have directions come through whilst listening to music;

2: One whole new unit in the cubby (if this is even possible) and just linking to the bose where and if needed?

Budget:

I can do a little soldering and be alright with the physical stuff, but will struggle on what port to port etc. I see a great guide on here for an 07 but mine is an 05. But with a mental breakdown and the help of you great guys I think I'd be able to do it.

I see that the JVC unit is popular and available for £300, cameras are peanuts :) . As I say I'm keeping the car and be prepared to spend £1,000 on this item including fitting (if it's riddiculously hard).

Any input is greatly welcomed :) .

1, 3, 4 and 5 can be done all in one hit. Get tomtom for iPhone. That gives you satnav and vocal directions. Also get cameralert for iPhone with subscription for weekly speed camera updates - also with voice alerts and works with tomtom running. Get a cradle with line out (Magellan/Mio) do one similar to the old tomtom one. Now wire the line out from the cradle to the radio using the iPod/iPhone hack guide found in the forum. Now you can have iTunes, hands free calls, satnav and speed camera warnings plus traffic alerts all in one small portable package.

You might even be able to get the iPhone to be a front facing camera as well.

Edited by scubapics
  • Like 1

Jvc unit £300 + £100 for wiring, fascia & reverse camera, £150 for navman panoramic, £100 for satnav cubby (if you can find one)

A lot less than £1000 :thumbs:

I have been using googlemaps on my iphone 5 in my rental, if you have bluetooth it connects up and gives you voice instructions.... Cheap alternative while you explore the options ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies guys, greatly appreciated :D .

I don't know what to do at the moment. I'm terrified of buying something that is useless. I would still like the telephone to come through the speakers and car system as the quality on that is very good and I've never had anyone complain about the conversation. Like to be able to use the steering wheel controls to control volume and answer etc.

Rabster I had a look for your build thread, but couldn't manage to find anything :yuck: .

Thanks Bounty, that car looks amazing. PC looks good, I'm a little worried about fitting it though. I'm gonna take a look at the different car pc's available. I've only just started researching. Saw one on youtube and pc had a small pen to select everything on screen. I couldn't have that, I want to be able to use my fingers; looks like your pc is like this :) .