Should I swap the Zed for 2 cars?

MarkW

I love my Zed to bits but im getting the itching 'shall i change' feeling at the moment, along with the fact that Im doing more miles and its costing me a lot in fuel.

Im tentatively thinking along the lines of a diesel mile muncher for day to day and distance driving, and 'something for the weekend'.

If I sold my Zed for c. £20k this would have to cover the cost of both cars. I need the day to day car to be decent, well specced, frugal and nippy so was looking at aroung the £7-8k mark, which leaves around £12-13k for an impractical weekend car.

Current thinking could be one of these:

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/138537.htm

and one of these:

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/144869.htm

By my reconing the costs would work out as:

£1400 saving on fuel

£75 extra on road tax

£330 extra on insurance (elise is dearer than Z!)

servicing etc not sure

so I would be approx £1000 net better of per year, which is not a huge amount but £80 per month extra would help at the moment.

Also, It looks like ive gotta have a company car next year, so the Zed would have to go then anyway, whereas this way I could sell the diesel car and hopefully keep the weekend toy.

Is this a good/practical idea, has anyone considered/done the same, or can you just talk me out of it to keep the Zed. After all its the best car ive ever owned......

Hmm tough call am in a similar predicament to sell mine and get something else... have you taken into account servicing of both vehicles, driveway space or garaging, insurance, losing celebrity status, looking like a tw@t getting out of the elise, my opinion, for your money stick with what you got. If 80 quid a week would come in handy then cut down on something else, or pimp yourself out at the local Bingo centre, Im sure Phillis would be up for good time :teeth:;) just kidding :p

I want an Elise or Exige badly, and will have one one day. That's also a cracking price and a fabulous weekend/track car.

Personally for a few years I've always had a nice car and a work horse. I reckon this is a sensible strategy but some prefer to run their pride and joy on a daily basis.

I run my Zed on a daily basis and keep this little beauty for the weekends.

Hey trev, What d'ya run in?

You're not the chap that won the British Sprint championship year before last are you?

Anyway, back on topic, I did exactly the opposite, consolidated 2 cars to the Zed because I was always compromising, would be running around in the dull car thinking "why didnt I bring the sports car to work?" and on the days I did if I had to give anyone a lift or carry anything it was so impractical it was pointless.

So I did the sums and for me it was a better deal to run the Zed as my everyday car which I can still carry some stuff or give people a lift in and if I need serious carrying space I can hire a focus for £100 for a week 10 times a year and I'm still quids in!

Horses for courses I guess.....

I run my Zed on a daily basis and keep this little beauty for the weekends.

Hey trev, What d'ya run in?

You're not the chap that won the British Sprint championship year before last are you?

I wish. Nowhere near good enough to win it. I do sprint it though and also do contest the British Sprint Championship.