Cold weather starting problem

The Trouser

Hi Forum Members,

First time poster on the forum – hope I can find an answer to my questions here.

I have a 350Z which I bought new and is now 8 years/87k miles old. I still get a thrill out of getting into it every day and it is still a joy to drive. I count myself lucky to own a Zed.

Thing is, I know very little about cars and when something goes wrong I have little idea what the cause is and what to do about it – hence my question today.

In the cold weather the car is failing to start. On turning the ignition key, the engine turns over fine (the battery is only a couple of years old) but the engine is failing to rev itself enough to keep itself running. It doesn't seem to rev very high and the engine just splutters to a stop.

I was wondering what might cause this and what I could do about it? It goes in for an MOT next month and I was wondering if there is some adjustment I could ask them to make that would solve the problem

Thanks for any guidance.

Best,

The Trouser

PS I have had a look around using the search function but was unable to find my exact problem.

They should be changed every 35,000 miles or every 5 years depending which comes first. You may need to ask to have them changed when you get it serviced as for some reason they don't always do it.

Welcome BTW :)

Pete

Edited by JetSet

Thnaks for all the replies :)

Try the learn idle air thing that could help. Also check for a dirty TB too :thumbs:

What's the "idle air thing"? And what's a "TB"? Is having a dirty one good or bad?

Welcome Along :wave:

Plugs could be a good shout if you have never had them changed. Mine used to struggle starting on a rare occasion, but never missed a beat generally.

Thnaks. Plugs seems a common theme.

TT

Throttle body is a butterfly valve on the intake. Clean = good but it being dirty is likely.

The idle air thingy I cant remember it's name. Do a search on how to do it and it will relearn how to idle etc. if you do clean the TB then there is 3-4 procedures that need doing anyway.

• 2 years later...

Bumping an old thread here, however this happened to myself this winter/now. Car starts fine when the air temp is warmer however when it's cold the car starts then cuts out. Just changed over the plugs (sitting at 40k = 6 years) and I've changed the coolant temp sensor, Funnily enough my car doesn't rev past 1k when this problem occurs, I have to wait until the car warms up fully then I have to turn the car off and on before it allows me to drive, my TB could very well need cleaning/replaced also. We'll see how it gets on. I think to be honest the 350 is just generally a bad cold starter.

Edited by M.1