2003-2004 Sat Nav/Cubby

Chris`I

Chaps,

Will a 2004 Sat Nav console fit a 2003? I am planning on putting a Carputer in my 03 when I get it, and plan on possibly using the 2004 Sat Nav console if they fit. I know that a 2003 will fit in an 2004 but I have heard it may not work the other way around.

I realise they are harder to work with that the 03, but if I can only source a 04 then it might be the way to go.

TIA

Chris

Apologies, should have been clearer. I have a 7" lilliput on the way from fleabay and I am trying to fit it. What I need to know is if the Sat Nav surround from an 04 will fit an 03. This bit:

5a4d_1.JPG

I know a a lot of people say to use the 03 as it is simpler to fit a screen to, but if I can get hold of an 04, is it possible to put it in an 03 car?

Ah bugger, I miss read the ebay post, I thought this was a Sat Nav cubby :doh:

Soooo.... if the 03-04 normal cubby are the same, can you retro fit a 7" screen or is it easier just to source a proper Sat Nav surround?

Soooo.... if the 03-04 normal cubby are the same, can you retro fit a 7" screen or is it easier just to source a proper Sat Nav surround?

I was going to keep it as it is and fit the screen into it. THat way, the "door" shades the sunlight from hitting the screen

Hi mate I got a 7" lilliput screen and I bought a 2003 cubby part and it fits fine. Stick with the 2003 why get 2004?

By the way everyone car gets picked up tonight to have installed the mini mac I get back on sunday day. Yes I know a week late :yahoo::yahoo:

What exactly is the difference between the 03 and 04 cubby's? I just bought one, no idea if is it 03 or 04, but it does have the sliding back door, which it what I wanted. At the mo I am just hardwiring my TomTom in there, but I am seriously considering the carputer route.

With the carputer would you recommend mac or pc? Have seen some people say they are using macs and there would appear to be a good free interface for the mac...but then i hear people running windows on the mac too, why? Is this for the navigation software or something?

What software would you recommend on a carputer, whether it is mac or pc?

Answers on a postcard...

What exactly is the difference between the 03 and 04 cubby's? I just bought one, no idea if is it 03 or 04, but it does have the sliding back door, which it what I wanted. At the mo I am just hardwiring my TomTom in there, but I am seriously considering the carputer route.

With the carputer would you recommend mac or pc? Have seen some people say they are using macs and there would appear to be a good free interface for the mac...but then i hear people running windows on the mac too, why? Is this for the navigation software or something?

What software would you recommend on a carputer, whether it is mac or pc?

Answers on a postcard...

Personally but biased ~Id get a mini mac its got everything you need for a carputer, reason why we run windows on it is because it gives us access to a better sat nav system. Route 68 for mac is crap as a Navigator but with windows running you can run anything you want on it. Also the apps program on mac which is free makes the mac so much easier to deal with when driving, large icons and everything you need at your finger tips. You also if airport and bluetooth permit have access to internet everytime you park in areas where they have free internet. So you connect without wires completely free. Mainly outside Barclays Banks have pretty good airport. Tested the otherday and went on the internet fine. I was parked across the road from it.

Also the apps program has everything you need at push of button including handsfree and internet roaming which shows you if there are any free internet stations in your vacinity.

The 2003 cubby is better as has a bigger hole space that fits the 7" screen pefectly :thumbs::thumbs:

Thanks for the replies guys.

I dont know why but I thought I needed a sat nav surround rather than the std cubby. I was under the impression that the 2003 sat nav surround had a cutout for a 7" sceen already and the flip down lid. Is that wrong? I will give the std cubby a go when my Zed arrives (next Sat hopefully, going to view Tues). I was tempted by the 04 cubby as there was one on ebay.

So far I have my laptop all setup with Centrafuse, GPS, Lilliput screen. Just waiting on a carnetix powersupply and I think I will be good to go when my car gets here.

If I was to do it again, I think I would go down the mac mini route. Mainly because of the small form factor, and the fact that carnetix do a kit to wire it up and its all plug and play. My Dell D600 is more work which will require soldering etc which isnt as neat.

Zedrush: Do you have any pics of the install? IIRC the pics in the other thread are of Pingu's install. Also IIRC you had a friend fabricate the LCD into the cubby didnt you?

The 2003 cubby is quite different from the 2004+ one(s).. the main advantage it has for installing a screen is that it's in 2 pieces - the back half can be removed and the screen placed in simply.. with the 2004+ one if you want to achieve a similar result you need to cut away the back of the unit and then fabricate fixing points to attach the door mechanism to (the mechanism on the 2003 cubby is much simpler and doesnt rely on the back half of the cubby)..

take a look at http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread. ... ight=cubby - it has some excellent photos of the 2003 cubby and install

I ordered mine from USA - parts cost about $100 and shipping was $24 i think - custom duties and fees about £21.. I tried 2 seperate dealers in UK for these parts but they were useless (and importing them worked out cheaper anyway I reckon!).

Pingu: Thanks for the very informative reply. Would you say that I could remove the back piece of my (well soon to be) 2003 cubby and simply fit the screen without leaving any permenent damage? It sure looks like it from that link. That would def be the best solution as it costs me nowt! :teeth: