Wireless music streaming at home

Flex

All my media is stored on a NAS box (dns-323) and shared using mediatomb, a free open source DLNA media server that runs on the box. I use a HiMedia HD600B which is a cheapy chinese type DLNA media renderer (which means it receives and plays music/video using the standard DLNA protocols) but has a good DLNA chipset (Realtek 1185 chipset). The menu/interface isn't the greatest, but I use an Android tablet to browse my music/video and when I press play on the tablet it tells the media renderer to request the media from the media server and plays it on my TV and through my surround sound system basically making the tablet a fancy remote control as I use it for very little else.

I don't know why companies need to create their own protocols etc when the DLNA standards work perfectly and I'm then not locked in to company Xs products. The current state of media streaming reminds me of the old standard phone charger issue (that Apple wrecked years of progress) and the web browser wars - hopefully everyone adopting standards will eventuually happen for the benefit of all involved.

All my media is stored on a NAS box (dns-323) and shared using mediatomb, a free open source DLNA media server that runs on the box. I use a HiMedia HD600B which is a cheapy chinese type DLNA media renderer (which means it receives and plays music/video using the standard DLNA protocols) but has a good DLNA chipset (Realtek 1185 chipset). The menu/interface isn't the greatest, but I use an Android tablet to browse my music/video and when I press play on the tablet it tells the media renderer to request the media from the media server and plays it on my TV and through my surround sound system basically making the tablet a fancy remote control as I use it for very little else.

I don't know why companies need to create their own protocols etc when the DLNA standards work perfectly and I'm then not locked in to company Xs products. The current state of media streaming reminds me of the old standard phone charger issue (that Apple wrecked years of progress) and the web browser wars - hopefully everyone adopting standards will eventuually happen for the benefit of all involved.

Awesome post and well said on the rest but whilst it's an open market companies want to make money so I can't see things getting any better for us consumers anytime soon, although that being said sometimes innovation springs out of the chaos so it's not all bad (just 95% bad).

• 3 weeks later...

Well i moved my mac to spare room last week as I got a nice new 27" monitor and as I didnt want to buy a new amp with wireless capability i got an airport express... Works a treat i can stream music to and from phone,mac, nas :cloud9: also the router runs 5ghz so my tablet and phone now get 60gb+ :yahoo:

That all sounds perfect BUT not for me! Airport express is for Apple no?

I dont know which amp to go for! I can get a wireless & btooth transmitter and plug the receiver into the phono port but I dont know if there'll be a sound quality issue.

So in short, I'm no further forward on this.

Without trying to turn this into an FS thread, I've an Airport Express sat here that I no longer use/need as I use the RPi now, if you wanted I could send it to you and see if it does what you need it to, and then if it does we can sort something out? Shoot me a PM if you're interested :)

So I know some of you will be jealous with this set up :lol:

2013-02-01135022_zpsc8af1be8.jpg

Finally got the airport express configured and playing from browser rather than itunes. No amp yet so used the Mrs' hifi but she's given the speakers to her mum so I had to improvise.

Anyway it works so now on the hunt for an Amp & speakers :ninja:

Oh and thanks to Ekona!!

P.s it's a sad day when I allow a bit of Apple kit into my house!

Edited by flexib

So I'm :ninja: watching an amp on ebay so what about speakers???

Do you want full surround, L,R & sub.... Floor standers or bookshelf...

Just avoid cheap makes and get the best you can afford, and don't skimp on wiring and cables

Oh god, too much choice, unfortunately as my balls have shrunk I need something pleasing on the eye for the mrs.