Engine differences

Av8er

Early cars were DE engines with dipstick at the side of the engine. Same DE engine went into what are known as upreved cars with a bit more power but lower on torque. In 2007 the engine was changed to the HR with the dipstick at the front of the engine. This is a totally different unit and it necessitated a body work modification to fit it in (bonnet bulge). Again this resulted in more power and a bit less torque, but you wouldn't really be able to tell the difference performance wise.

On the way, the GT4 got the uprev DE engine in 2005 before it became standard in 2006.

So very little difference really?

Six of one, half a dozen of the other :)

Not a huge amount of difference between them other than what the guys have already indicated. Would you feel the difference? Possibly, I run a 2003 JDM with the 276 bhp (with a plenum spacer, Milltek exhaust and Y-Pipe modification and UpRev) and it feels plenty fast enough to me :)

Edited by Bockaaarck

Early cars were DE engines with dipstick at the side of the engine. Same DE engine went into what are known as upreved cars with a bit more power but lower on torque. In 2007 the engine was changed to the HR with the dipstick at the front of the engine. This is a totally different unit and it necessitated a body work modification to fit it in (bonnet bulge). Again this resulted in more power and a bit less torque, but you wouldn't really be able to tell the difference performance wise.

On the way, the GT4 got the uprev DE engine in 2005 before it became standard in 2006.

Disagree, a HR has a fair chunk more power than a DE plus a better base to tune from.

Disagree, a HR has a fair chunk more power than a DE plus a better base to tune from.

I thought the HR was 300bhp? happy to be corrected as i'm still learning about these

I thought the HR was 300bhp? happy to be corrected as i'm still learning about these

309bhp or 313ps.

309bhp or 313ps.

Ah a decent jump in power then. I thought I read there is more weight in the later cars that's negates the extra power, is that right?

Yeah more weight but hardly it wasnt THAT much. A good HR will still have a good few Hp more than a fully n/a and Upreved DE. Plus you get the dual intakes, better/newer/more powerful engine, better interior a better base to tune in n/a or turbo/supercharge if you want. The final model is always more polished. If you have the HR its a great car. If you don't a DE is still awesome.

• 4 weeks later...