Half way...

Chesterfield

Well, as I wanted to get the car up to scratch, I decided to stock up on Meguiars stuff on Wednesday.

On Thursday night I gave the car a quick was and got rid of the obvious tar spots using a clay bar. I thought I would save it until today to go round and use a new clay bar in fine detail.

So, at 9am I started. What became immediatley obvious within the first 10 minutes was that removing every tiny imperfection with a claybar was not going to be a 2 minute job. In fact, it was going to take much, much longer.

So, I have now claybarred (sp?) just about every single square inch of paintwork on the entire car. The whole lot now feels like glass. But id did take the best part of 3.5 hours! :sweat:

Just given it a good Meguiars shampoo and rinse - and now it looks like this:

STA40818.jpg

STA40814.jpg

STA40819.jpg

STA40817.jpg

Once the sun has gone round to the south a little more, I can begin the waxing process. It should then be up to scratch! :)

While I wait for the sun to swing round, Im going to busy myself with the leather restorer and feed for the interior.

Also, the autosol made a decent job of the pipes at the rear, later Ill get some pics of the mirror finish its put on the silencers. :teeth:

Well - not got time to rest, thought I'd grab a quick snack then get back out there! :snack:

Nice job.

My clay bar has been sitting in a box with all the wax and polish for about 3 months now. Taking her to some people a mate knows to get the swirls sorted first. Was in dealer other day and saw a new black convertible. It was covered in swirls. Felt embarrassed for a car that wasn’t even mine.

Guy

Tell me about it - swirls on black are a nightmare.

The Altea in the pics above is all of 1 week old - its been washed once (today) since I bought it, and its covered in swirls, and seeing as I move the mitt in straight lines following the panels, then they must have been there from the factory.

There are swirls on the UY, but you have to look for them. Dark cars seem to suffer a lot more.

Thanks for the deal on the Autosol at JAE last year Tim - only just started using it, and its sorted the exhaust out a treat!

I couldnt get in the garage the other evening as teh other half had the keys, so I kept myself busy by using the autosol on the front door handle! :lol:

Thought I was an expert at detailing my car til I joined this site now I feel like a complete novice after reading some of the detailing posts on here.

:blush:

Is it too late to use one of these clay bar bad boys if I have already washed and waxed first with auto glym super resin polish, then done the same again this time with the wax for connoisseurs????

I was wondering what that glow was coming from the south of my batch pad yesterday, now I know....... It was Cheterfields car and knob.....(door). :teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth:

Is it too late to use one of these clay bar bad boys if I have already washed and waxed first with auto glym super resin polish, then done the same again this time with the wax for connoisseurs????

You can certainly use a clay bar , but it would remove any wax that you have applied..Good excuse to start all over again though :teeth:

• 4 weeks later...

Hardly noticeable now after the wax has been put on, but if they do start to become more noticeable Ill sort them.

Its the swirls on the new altea that arenoticeable - about a month or so old and its swirled to buggery but as I wipe in a straight line, they must have been there from the factory or from the dealer washing it before my pickup. :dry:

Its the workhorse though, so it doesnt bother me that much.

I can certainly recommend a detailer in the Notts area - Craig Mudd @ muddydetail.co.uk. He's a 350 fan too but he's got the Best Scooby in the Country. Yep, he's won awards for it and he's buying a black 350 soon :( so will put mine to shame for sure.

He did mine (Kuro) and the difference was amazing. Night and Day. I can't stop cleaning it now and I bought shed loads of gear from cleanandshiny.co.uk :scare:

Funny you should say that - I got a leaflet through from that chap - dont know if they have been spotting cars which may want the service in the area or whether it was a blanket leaflt drop. Also had an email on the forum offering his services - nice to see there is a member with some experience of his services - we should be in touch with him soon.