Tyres Compounds

Hutch

I part-ex my 350z 300 GT for 370z GT Auto a few weeks ago.

The car has Bridgestone tyres on which are stock. I believe Bridgestone tyres are a medium compound for good wear but has hard sidewalls which gives me a judder when car is cold on full lock.

I have also had my tyres filled with Nitrogen because I have been told it a more solid compound at higher temperatures when the water vapour in air evaporates.

I'd like to know which tyres I should replace the Bridgestone’s with? However I like something with good wear unlike Continentals or Pirelli that are soft rubber.

Let's start at the start here.

First off, compound or hard sidewalls have nothing to do with the juddering at full lock, that's down to the Ackermann Principle. It's perfectly normal and will happen with any tyre you put on.

Nitrogen is fine to fill with mbut you need to remove ALL air first for it to be any good. Very few places can do this. I tried it for a while and I found it helped with the tyre keeping pressure over a longer period of time, but very little else. I only ever fill with normal air now.

For good wear, look towards the new Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Pricey but the best non-track performance tyre available bar none right now. Otherwise it's the good ol' RE050A for good wear.

Edited by Ekona

• 4 months later...

Well looking forward to the new Nismo spec Bridgestone S001's. These will be a hell of a tyre, well worth switching to and along the way converting to the wider 285/35x19 Nismo rears. These will also be extra loads giving more mechanical grip. Now trying to scrub out my RE050A's as quick as poss lol