The mystery of the Headlight Washers

Z-monster

Right...they definitely DON'T work for me...

Did the following steps:

1. Filled the washer tank up to the brim, no bubbles, measure tube was full also.
  2. Turned on car
  3. Turned on dipped headlights
  4. pressed button (nothing)
  5. pulled stalk (2 seconds) (nothing)
  6. Turned lights off
  7. Turned engine off, then back on
  8. Turned lights on
  9. pressed and held button (nothing) (not even a noise for a pump)
  10. Turned the car off and had a think...
  11. Gently pulled out washers, bone dry, pulled off debris of daddy long legs and friends (so they obviously popped out at somepoint!)

See above and repeat, no effect, no spray, sad face.

Any ideas? Could the pump/motor be dead, could I still be doing something wrong?

Do you hear anything when pushing the stalk? If not could be the pump. Only other way it might not work is when its frosty. Mines froze and wouldnt work until defrosted later in the day.

1. Headlight and window washers use the same bottles, however there are 2 bottles at the front of the Zed, linked by a pipe so that when you fill the main one, it balances out with the other

No wonder it took me more than FIVE goes with a big empty plastic coke bottle to put water in!! And I still didn't know when it was full, there doesn't seem to be a way of telling? Last car I could look down the tube but its all tight in there and...black plastic...(awesome.. :dry: lol)

I too have had the washer blues...Lesson...do not overfill with antifreeze washer stuff....it covers your car with foam and you end up having to pour water all over the bonnet straight away to make sure it doesn't mark lol I like them.. I just wish there was an OFF switch lol

I must admit I'm not a fan of ...drifting, burnouts or...generally wrecking my car lol But I like the sound of a drag strip and aswell as the odd banger and the usuals you get some series stuff up there at times Ferraris, GTRs etc.. So I fancy a bit of that action in the spring/summer. Will give me an idea of just how quick it can go against others safely. One of my friends went up in his Celica and said its brilliant, good laugh and even if you loose some races says the excitments the main thing, just wanna do it again and again lol He also didn't remove the white number painted on the side window for a while.... bit neddish that I thought :lol:

I'll try and get some decent cars to do it with though so its a bit more meaningful and I will post times/pics on here. But wee while yet, theres nothing up on the schedule due to it being winter lol Any Scottish people on here been up? (or non-scottish lol)

apparently a Zed does 1/4 in 14secs but I've seen posts of standards with just over 13?? Thats not bad!

Edited by AMT250

Do you hear anything when pushing the stalk? If not could be the pump. Only other way it might not work is when its frosty. Mines froze and wouldnt work until defrosted later in the day.

1. Headlight and window washers use the same bottles, however there are 2 bottles at the front of the Zed, linked by a pipe so that when you fill the main one, it balances out with the other

No wonder it took me more than FIVE goes with a big empty plastic coke bottle to put water in!! And I still didn't know when it was full, there doesn't seem to be a way of telling? Last car I could look down the tube but its all tight in there and...black plastic...(awesome.. :dry: lol)

I too have had the washer blues...Lesson...do not overfill with antifreeze washer stuff....it covers your car with foam and you end up having to pour water all over the bonnet straight away to make sure it doesn't mark lol I like them.. I just wish there was an OFF switch lol

I hear pump when pushing and pulling stalk - but does that pump feed both headlights and screen?

Ok so...to re cap - I've not driven her since Sunday afternoon and I brimmed the washer bottle on Monday.

Today I was able to pour the best part of 3L into the bottle. Drove around a little it help eject any bubbles, emptied in the best part of another 0.5L or about a pint. Clearly the system is taking a while to clear the air in the fed headlight washer bottles so I'm guessing what's happened is I've been driving with the headlight washers empty or not full enough to fire the headlights, but full enough to do the windscreen. Does anyone know the full capacity of the washer bottle(s)?

FYI didn't use washers today as I wanted to see how much air might be in the system.

Going to top her up again tomorrow/Friday and see if I can fit any more in before I leave. If its dry weather (awesome) I'll stop off at Reading services as usual and check to see if I can fit any more in. If she stays brimmed I'll know shes full, thus if I activate washer and nothing happens its probably electrical.... the mystery continues...

There are two pumps on the bottom of the off side water bottle and as far as I remember they supply the front and rear screen washers, I can't remember if there is a third on the nearside washer bottle, does anyone know? If there is and you aren't hearing any pump noise then that maybe your problem but it needs someone with more knowledge than me to let us know I'm afraid :)

• 1 year later...

Hey gang! Sorry to come on to this late but I've got a related issue.

Right, when the headlights are on and I try the windcreen wash, the healamp ones go with no peep from the WS washers. When the headlights are off and I try the WS washers I get a trickle and no headlamp washer action. Could the wiper arm jets be blocked? I would have thought the two systems would only share the washer bottle?

Cheers!