Nissan dealer is a f****ing muppet

GC350z

Unfortunately some dealers will have less experience with the Z than others - its just the way it is.

If it is just an O2 sensor, they may well have the item in stock, they are a common part across a number of engines, and it wouldnt surprise me if it werent the same O2 sensor in almost every Nissan petrol engine.

You could ring up another dealer if there is one locally and see what they have to say?

Its not really Nissans fault, but more the dealers for having little experience of the car, but hen again, as they say it is rare. Suppose its just one of the joys of owning a rare (ish) car.

I thinkits only fair that they should be able to sort you out with a courtesy car though if they are having it for the day or more.

Changed the subject :D.

Windsor would be the more experience Z dealer in Ireland. They're just crap. Only get a courtesy car if it's warranty work. Buuuuuuuuut for it to be warranty work they have to first assess the situation which means bringing the car in wasting my time in having to take it off work.

As per my usual, I'll bring the Z in and sit there all day if I have to. Their showroom is in a different location so I cant even go over to poke fun at the idiot sales people that know everything about a micra and nothing about a Z or the new GTR which they will be selling. I met two of their top salesmen at a big show last year where they were displaying an 06 convertible. I asked how it differed from mine. They answered "wheels and trim." So I walked off back to the SLR and Ford GT that were on display near by.

Guy

Guest prescience

A day to change one of the O2 sensors - WTF :scare:

An hour absolute tops and it probably only needs a reset. Have you tried doing an ECU reset yourself as per the FAQ section?

Here was me thinking I’d miss count the light flashing when trying to get the error code. After countless attempts I couldn’t get it into diagnostic mode.

Does this only work on some models?

Guy

Guest prescience

That's frustrating. TBH someone else did have a problem but I never did on my UK 54.

What is your spec - I'll dig out the thread in question

It was Chris (funkystyling) and he has a JDM

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6655

I wonder did you try without the red text in the link, it was the only way I could get mine to work and others experienced the same. Ie did you try the 7 seconds starting from the 5th accelerator pedal push.

Kinda hard to say. I tried to depress the throttle 1 a sec rather than 5 times in quick succesion within 5 seconds. Last thing I want to do is reset it without first getting the code.

My car is 04. You guys would call it GT spec UK car. Here it a Z with all the options except sat nav.

Cheers,

Guy

Got it to work. Very happy with myself. :teeth: I counted to 28 while at the same time doing each of the steps. At 28 I kept my foot on the throttle until the light flashed.

Now I've discovered the real hard part. Counting the flashes. It doesn't do what the instructions said. i.e. there wasn't 10 slow flashes at the end. It just looped the code over and over which made it even harder to count.

I ended up with a code of:

1471 - Not in the list

1147 - Heated O2 Sensor 2

7114 - Not in the list

4711 - Not in the list

So unless I counted it all wrong it's a heated second O2 sensor. What the hell does that mean? :wacko:

Thanks for all the help.

Guy

Guest prescience

You are correct the procedure as written is for doing a reset if you have no codes. If you have a code, the lights as you say reveal the code. Someone needs to modify the guide by reference to the various links from it - but I can't its locked and it needs to be a Mod/Admin.

In terms of the code itself, it sounds like the dealer's suspicion was correct and you have a faulty O2 sensor.

Even if I could tell from the code on which bank it is and whether it is before or after the cat (and I can't) I wouldn't because 'before' problems can cause 'after' codes.

They will need to check your sensors.

If it were me and its not, I would do a reset to remove the code: the logic is

- if the code is transitory and a one-off, it's not a great concern and no point wasting your dosh

- if there is an issue, it will recur

Cars book in anyways for Wednesday. Will get it replaced under warranty and get the hell out of there.

Funny how the mechanic suspected O2 sensor armed only with the knowledge that the car was a Z yet "the 350 is quite a rare car".

Thanks again Dorian.

Guy

That is an interesting read. My car is completely stock. The one thing I could possibly put it down to is fuel. We only get 95 here so that's a bad start. I put in Texaco fuel last Wednesday. I normally run v-power but even that's only 95. Maybe the mix of bottom of the tank v-power with Texaco muck set it off. Only guessing as the light came on two days later.

Guy

Right, think I got it right, quite a few codes unless I counted wrongly

1138 - Swirl Control Valve

1146 - Heated 02 Sensor

1165 - Swirl control Valve control vaccuum check switch

1147 - Heated 02 Sensor

1167 - Heated 02 sensor

1100 - Not in list

Heated 02 sensors obviousley caused by decats but what the hell are the swirl control valve errors?

From www.nissan-global.com

An electronically controlled continuously variable swirl control valve is used to achieve a high throttling rate, which increases the airflow velocity into the cylinder to facilitate high-swirl combustion. As a result, the combustion process is stabilized, especially right after engine start when combustion tends to be unstable, resulting in substantially cleaner engine-out emissions.

Guy