Broken Exhaust effecting mpg?

ddcboyle

I'd have said otherwise, I must admit. Yes, it will effect the gasflow, but we are talking fractions here and certainly no more than would change if you fitted a freer-flowing exhaust that was backbox-less (like the K1), and we all know the Zed ECU will adapt to stop any power increases.

Any difference a broken midpipe to backbox would make to the MPG of the car is negligable, IMHO.

Its to do with the pull in the exhaust though. Same as a boiler. The pull has to be there to remove the combustion gases or the A/F ratios go to pot. The lamda sensors will pick this up and adjust fuelling. Its all down to where its leaking from which will affect the severity.

I'd agree with you Dan that it would be minor.

Would agree with Ekona the only way according to all information received whilst training with VW is that the ECU regarding regular running will put the right fuel to air ratio as set so if no extra air is going in the Ecu wont order up any extra fuel, the most plausible reason would be it might have affect performance and thus making you accelerate harder or the noise is to Addictive and your subconsciously going flat out more often.

And if the bore and exhuast valve are the same size the whole way threw it shouldnt effect it either

Edited by StevoD

Would agree with Ekona the only way according to all information received whilst training with VW is that the ECU regarding regular running will put the right fuel to air ratio as set so if no extra air is going in the Ecu wont order up any extra fuel, the most plausible reason would be it might have affect performance and thus making you accelerate harder or the noise is to Addictive and your subconsciously going flat out more often.

And if the bore and exhuast valve are the same size the whole way threw it shouldnt effect it either

The AFR will alter depending on the lamda reading though. If the gases arent exhausting quick enough the ratio will change in the exhaust.

Agreed but any change after both lambda probes in theory wont effect it, agreed if there is a crack between block and bank 1 or bank 2 secondary probes it will add fuel as it will think its running lean but a snap between midbox and rear box wouldn't effect the air at the probes Because air traveling at X speed will still be traveling at X speed if the pipe is 4ft long or 5 ft long granted if it was 15ft long and went down to 5ft id expect a difference but not over the space of 1-2ft worth of pipe

Just had a thoughtafter you mentioned revving more...

Due to exhaust having a crack, that means id be losing a bit of power? So i presumably would be revving more to drive it normally? Not sure.

I couldnt see a change of petrol supplier changing it more, and presumably the trip computer would realise i had more weight in the car if i has bags in there?

You could be gaining power more than anything, but don't forget the ECU adapts so it will cancel itself out.

That's an awfully big discrepency in your miles to a tank. How many litres are you getting into the tank when filling up? And is your MPG calculation based on what the car is telling you or what you've worked out yourself?

• 2 weeks later...

Answer is, broken exhaust does rffect mpg. Changed exhaust and getting better mpg. The trip computer was lying when it said 26mpg, as now it says 26 and actually lasts. New exhaust (2nd hand oem) sounds more of muscle car engine but getting my bhp back so im happy