Any Roofers out there ? settle a debate...

mick43

I can't agree with a buddy if roof felt is a waterproof membrane or not on a tiled pitched roof ?

Surely it can't be as the water would build up on the horizontal battens ?

Yes it may be a last layer of defence, and probably gives a good wind defence - but not water/rain ?

Googling... seems to confirm above... but not definitive as too many items, and most referring to flat roofs etc.

thanks

:thumbs:

I spent many years delivering truck loads of sand to Wimpey and Mcalpine and yes I can confirm that not only did they put roofing felt under the tiles but it was delivered by the truck load on a daily basis.

I believe this is what you were looking for?

Not whats the best thing to use but do they/did they?

B)

I can't agree with a buddy if roof felt is a waterproof membrane or not on a tiled pitched roof ?

Surely it can't be as the water would build up on the horizontal battens ?

Yes it may be a last layer of defence, and probably gives a good wind defence - but not water/rain ?

Googling... seems to confirm above... but not definitive as too many items, and most referring to flat roofs etc.

thanks

:thumbs:

Roofing felt is waterproof (I assume you're refering to a Type F felt) ... these days a breathable membrane is used beneath a tiled roof, the best one being Roofshield IMO ... any water which gets through to the felt layer will not penetrate and will be collected in the gutter ... the water will not build up on the horizontal battens because the felt is usually (but not always) draped between the rafters thus allowing any water to drain down the slope of the membrane