Front End Knocking

redalfa69

Recently replaced the drop link arm bushes on 54 plate 350z. Cured the rumble. However there is a "knocking" when on rough roads or going over bumps (most roads then!!). Does not seem to be any play in wheels so unlikely to be bearings. Any one any ideas? Might it be bushes on the anti-roll bar itself. Car has done approx. 95k miles.

Recently replaced the drop link arm bushes on 54 plate 350z. Cured the rumble. However there is a "knocking" when on rough roads or going over bumps (most roads then!!). Does not seem to be any play in wheels so unlikely to be bearings. Any one any ideas? Might it be bushes on the anti-roll bar itself. Car has done approx. 95k miles.

If it happens at low speeds then very probably a Banana bar ... try a search

Without wanting to start another thread, I've got a front end knocking issue on the drivers side and it's not when I go on gravely road or over multiple bumps, but when I brake and release. When I'm coming to a stop, whilst I brake, nothing, when I've stopped and let off the brake I get a single clunking noise. Any idea what it is?

It does occur going slowly on to my drive but I've noticed it nearly every time I've used the brakes today, even if I've not come to a standstill.

I had a fair bit of front suspension work done recently, which started with a torn shock absorber to control arm bush and snowballed into refreshing 60% of the front end.

Once you've done a few bushes (ooh err missus!) other weaknesses may become more obvious - it could well be that your drop-links are u/s too.

As Alex says, it could also be the compression arm and you can either do the whole arm or just the bush - if it's the latter check that the ball-joint is also ok. The OEM bushes aren't bad but I highly recommend Superpro poly bushes, more composure and no harsher a ride. They are pricy though at about £150 for the parts (L+R). I almost went down the Whiteline road as they are cheaper but there wasn't much feedback on these.

Good luck!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Without wanting to start another thread, I've got a front end knocking issue on the drivers side and it's not when I go on gravely road or over multiple bumps, but when I brake and release. When I'm coming to a stop, whilst I brake, nothing, when I've stopped and let off the brake I get a single clunking noise. Any idea what it is?

It does occur going slowly on to my drive but I've noticed it nearly every time I've used the brakes today, even if I've not come to a standstill.

Could be your steering rack - i had a similar issue with noise when coming to a stop and the car clunking like something was loose at the front end. Check the rack for play shake the wheel back and forth when statioanry and see if you get a clunking. If so you could be needing a new rack. obviously check all track rod ends and inner bjoints first.