No speedo Lights when driving a Night

trancematic

Hi all

I will try and explain this a best i can having only had the 2004 tip/auto 350 z for a matter of a week or so,anyway went out in it saturday evening at night and when i turned the lights on in the car the speedo dial on the far right of 3 could not be seen.

All i could make out was a few lines and bits of the clock itself ,now there was a little bit of light but the speedo was basically rendered useless even when i used the plus minus buttons to dim or make the light brighter to no avail .

i was wandering what this could be and its the first time since the forums got updated have i been able to answer the question.

Could it be a blown fuse or does it need a new interior dash light or something,anybody with any ideas please let me know where to look and how easy is it to change a dash board light if that is whats required.

May be someone on here has had a similar experience,besides i was doing a little Google research about this problem why this site was down and the only thing i came up with is people suggesting that if someone has fitted a after /market stereo this this could be the problem.

And in mine is a nice Clarion system that works all fine and dandy but has the fitting affected the speedo driving night light or what ?

Thanks all .

By the way the other 2 clocks worked perfectly when turning on the night lights.

Edited by trancematic

The speedo clocks are always on though no?

The lights behind the clocks are always on, and when you turn on your side/headlights they dim down a bit i think. you can also adjust the brightness of the clocks when the lights are on by the buttons on the side of the instrument binnacle.

The lights on the speedo are surface mounted LED's, the likelyhood of all the LED's burning out at the same time that backlight the speedo is low. More likely could be a track on the PCB has burned out (although I've never heard of that), or a part of the control circuitry for it.

If you really didnt want to purchase a new cluster I would say you need to dismantle it, check for any track damage and test the LED's with a mutlimeter.

The lights behind the clocks are always on, and when you turn on your side/headlights they dim down a bit i think. you can also adjust the brightness of the clocks when the lights are on by the buttons on the side of the instrument binnacle.

he already said he tried changing the brightness.

Edited by Husky

No i did not fit the stereo but later when it gets dark i will take a picture,the dashboard lights come on when i insert the keys but as soon as i turn on the headlights i can not make out any of the speedo on the right hand side,i have tried the plus and minus buttons on the right hand side and these don't make a difference as i still can not see the speedo or any reading on it.

I can see that there is a small amount of light when i press the plus/minus buttons but I'm not sure why this clock seems to be basically blanked of,the other 2 dials are fine and all working correctly.

Husky what you suggest is a option but well beyond my brain and patience as i just want to enjoy the driving of the car and have very little interest in the understanding of how a car operates mechanically,if I'm needed to do what you suggest then i will put that into the hands of someone that knows what he is doing as i would not even know where to start and basically you have lost me just reading what you suggested even though i appreciate all what you are saying and I'm not disputing any of it.

Will wait until dark take a picture and this may or may not explain the problem a little clearer,every clock during daytime hours functions correctly but when darkness arrives and headlights are switched on speedo dial is unreadable .

Edited by trancematic

file://localhost/Users/paul/Desktop/IMG_0306.JPG

If you pop the top link in the browser it works but i would like to know how to get it on the forums directly please.

This was taken just before dark and believe me you can not make any of the figures out on the speedo once darkness has descended .

Did notice something i thought might be worth mentioning, when i turned the headlights on the clarion stereo dimmed down significantly,might be normal ,might be right who knows .

I know something i got to work out the solution to this speedo problem,don't think the police are going to go for that if i get caught exceeding the speed limit telling them i can not see the speedo :yawn:

actually since all you guys have been telling me the interior lights come on day/or night as soon as you put a key in the ignition i don't think it has anything to do with the headlights,i just think there is something wrong with the speedo light which obviously i did not really notice until darkness came as i have only driven the car in daylight until saturday night.

Edited by trancematic

Im not good with anything regarding cars,i just drive them and anything mechanical i leave to people in the know,all this technology talk like cluster and stuff is way over my head,do you mean a new set of dashboard lights or something.

While i am on the subject ..........I am right in saying that as soon as you put in and turn the ignition key on the interior dash board lights are suppose to light up and stay on even in the daytime.

Im not good with anything regarding cars,i just drive them and anything mechanical i leave to people in the know,all this technology talk like cluster and stuff is way over my head,do you mean a new set of dashboard lights or something.

While i am on the subject ..........I am right in saying that as soon as you put in and turn the ignition key on the interior dash board lights are suppose to light up and stay on even in the daytime.

Octet recently posted some links who can correct mileage but can also fix clusters and clocks. maybe check that thread?

And any idea how i can find that thread please,think the easier solution is to go to Nissan if I'm honest as there does not seem to be anyone on here who has had a similar problem so I'm completely in the dark.[no pun intended] :D

Edited by trancematic