Dimmer switch with this light???

theheff

My girlfriend has just bought this light, she's a chav lol.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=200762

It's very bright, anyone know if it can be fitted with a dimmer switch? I think the bulbs can be swapped for 10w bulbs to make it dimmer but she would rather have the option of dimming it if possible.

I've read about buzzing dimmer switches, what causes that?

My girlfriend has just bought this light, she's a chav lol.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=200762

It's very bright, anyone know if it can be fitted with a dimmer switch? I think the bulbs can be swapped for 10w bulbs to make it dimmer but she would rather have the option of dimming it if possible.

I've read about buzzing dimmer switches, what causes that?

If the light she has bought has a built in transformer, i.e low voltage then unfortunately the vast majority of domestic lighting transformers are not suitable for use with dimmer switches as they will cause buzzing :thumbdown:

Dimmer switch will be fine if these lamps operate at 240 volt. 5 X 20watt = 100 watts so get a dimmer rated for about 250 watts. Buzzing is caused sometimes from the electronic circuitry within the dimmer, the more you dim typically the buzzier they get. But buy a good quality one and everything will be fine. :)

If low voltage because its got a built in transformer then you will have to check the technical data to see if the transformer will work with a dimmer. Some are fine to use with a dimmer.

Very rare these days to get a transformer that isn't dimable, when you start buying led's is when you need to becareful. as said before, buy a half decent dimmer and you wont get any buzzing. most standard dimmers are rated 60-250watts so that fitting will be fine. should be spending £10-£15

Very rare these days to get a transformer that isn't dimable, when you start buying led's is when you need to becareful. as said before, buy a half decent dimmer and you wont get any buzzing. most standard dimmers are rated 60-250watts so that fitting will be fine. should be spending £10-£15

+1

buy a decent dimmer. as this will reduce the amount of buzzing. i have yet to come across one that doesnt buzz a little bit. if unsure get a sparky in. :thumbs: