OBD2 requirements and recommendation?

Yella Fella

Hi all, I believe the Nissan requires an extended code set to be able to read the manufacturers codes and not just generic ones. Is canbus a requirement as seen that word tagged on to Nissan specific readers on eBay?

I want a straight up hardware reader rather than one that plus into android/iPhone/laptop

I've seen costs from £30 to £50-£70 in eBay pending function and quality? Just want one that can clear codes and can read full Nissan codes obviously. Cheers

Nearly all 2001 on Nissan's use CANbus, as do most other brands, but thats just the data transmission designation, if your car is UK you shouldn't have too much trouble with basic codes, but not interrogation.

If your car is JDM then you will have more of a problem, as they use JOBD rather than OBD.

Well we used my mates android phone with torque software and it only brought up basic feedback, it couldn't read the code on my z, and yes it is uk spec.

I'd buy one, just need them to be able to read the CEL codes

i use androind torque app and i can pull lots of sensor data, plus read and clear CEL codes,

This made me think about getting something similar, but I'm on iPhone. I hear people a lot using an OBD reader and the Torque app for Android, but is there something as recommended for iPhones?

Sorry to hijack the thread, just didn't see a point in making a new one for a similar question.

This made me think about getting something similar, but I'm on iPhone. I hear people a lot using an OBD reader and the Torque app for Android, but is there something as recommended for iPhones?

Sorry to hijack the thread, just didn't see a point in making a new one for a similar question.

Half way down my build thread page linked below is what I use.

viewtopic.php?f=176&t=50472&start=60

There are free ones but from what I can see is rev and dash commander

Half way down my build thread page linked below is what I use.

viewtopic.php?f=176&t=50472&start=60

Thanks, I'll give it a read :thumbs: