Suspension rattle

Shel

I've got the dreaded rattling from the back passenger side of my 350z, i've changed the droplinks and the anti roll bar bushes and tried other things too, like taking everything out of the boot, even the quick fix i read on here about making a spacer and a gasket for the shocks, but it's still there :angry: What should i do next, should i change the shock or could it be something else and i would be wasting money buying a shock. Any advice would be appreciated :bang:

Could be a bush has fallen out/become torn on one of the suspension arms and so they are moving about against each other. This tends to happen on the front banana bar and causes rattling and clunking . I guess the the same thing could happen with the rear suspension arms.

I think I also saw something on one of the American forums that said that the lower mounting point bolt holes for the rear shocks can sometimes elongate due to them being a bit on the loose side from the factory causing movement of the shock. I believe someone found this and fixed it by putting some washers in. I recall that this problem seemed to occur more on later 07+ cars though.

Everything i can think of has been checked and no luck,

Took it to another garage today and they couldn't find the problem either, they weren't even sure if it's coming from the back or the front, sounds like the back to me tho

It's probably coming from the front,I thought my noise was at back at first, but it proved to be n/s compression("banana") arm.

Very common, there are loads of threads about it,do a seach.

Get a passenger to listen for you,leaning forward towards the footwell,to see if the noise really is from the front.

Because the wear in the ball joint only needs to be very little for a rattle/knock to appear,garages find it hard to find with just a quick look underneath.

Took it to another garage today and they couldn't find the problem either, they weren't even sure if it's coming from the back or the front, sounds like the back to me tho

I have been chasing a noise from the rear passenger side for about a year without success. It sounds like 2 coconut shells being banged together and happens on roads with even quite small potholes.

My local garage gave a close inspection, but could fine nothing wrong. Is your sound anything similar ?

S.

It's probably coming from the front,I thought my noise was at back at first, but it proved to be n/s compression("banana") arm.

Very common, there are loads of threads about it,do a seach.

Get a passenger to listen for you,leaning forward towards the footwell,to see if the noise really is from the front.

Because the wear in the ball joint only needs to be very little for a rattle/knock to appear,garages find it hard to find with just a quick look underneath.

yes i've read all about the banana arm, i've got someone going to check that for me tomor. I ruled that out cos it seemed to be coming from the back, but everything has been checked there and even replaced the droplinks and arb's. :headhurt:

I have been chasing a noise from the rear passenger side for about a year without success. It sounds like 2 coconut shells being banged together and happens on roads with even quite small potholes.

My local garage gave a close inspection, but could fine nothing wrong. Is your sound anything similar ?

S.

A year? I couldn't stand it for a year! I've been on leave this week and have done nothing but try and find this noise so I'm not happy. I will let you know what it was if I ever get it sorted :shrug:

S.

A year? I couldn't stand it for a year! I've been on leave this week and have done nothing but try and find this noise so I'm not happy. I will let you know what it was if I ever get it sorted :shrug:

Anther long shot, there are a couple of plastic shroud /cover type thingummies at the rear, one either side, one of mine was lose at one end and made a noise to drive you mad, couple of cable ties sorted it out, while you're under there check the headlight self leveller too, they sometimes get left off disconnected at one end. Sorry i cant be more clear with the location of the plastic covers but it was ages ago

Another long shot, but when I got mine there was some rattling coming from the rear (definitely more rattling than clunking), and it turned out to be that a trim clip from the trim at the back edge of the boot had somehow broken and fallen inside the metal frame that it was attached to and was just rattling around. I found it by accident when doing some soundproofing as it really didn't sound like it was coming from inside the car, but that's definitely what was doing it. There was also a screwdriver kicking around in the spare wheel well and making noise but that was pretty obviously inside the car and quickly sorted.

DB

:yahoo: Here's an update for all of you that tried to help me fix my rattle.... I happened to see that someone on ebay was selling a brand new nissan banana arm for not much money, so i thought what the hell i've tried everything else, so i took a chance and bought it and someone fitted it today for me and the rattle is gone !!! I haven't driven it yet myself as it was my birthday today so i had a lot of people round and a few drinkies :snack: etc, but i'm told it's now like a new car so i'm well happy. So thanks to you all for your advice and to the seller on ebay who will be getting a fantastic rating from me for selling it so cheap and for getting it to me within 24 hours :teeth:

:yahoo: Here's an update for all of you that tried to help me fix my rattle.... I happened to see that someone on ebay was selling a brand new nissan banana arm for not much money, so i thought what the hell i've tried everything else, so i took a chance and bought it and someone fitted it today for me and the rattle is gone !!! I haven't driven it yet myself as it was my birthday today so i had a lot of people round and a few drinkies :snack: etc, but i'm told it's now like a new car so i'm well happy. So thanks to you all for your advice and to the seller on ebay who will be getting a fantastic rating from me for selling it so cheap and for getting it to me within 24 hours :teeth:

I'm glad you fixed it :thumbs:

I'm also glad you fixed it...others take note...it often seems the noise is from the back when it's actually from the front.

That is SO true, the old banana arm was totally knackered, i will post a pic of it when i get the chance

I'm also glad you fixed it...others take note...it often seems the noise is from the back when it's actually from the front.

That is SO true, the old banana arm was totally knackered, i will post a pic of it when i get the chance

:yahoo: well done, oh Happy Birthday for yesterday :drunk::band: