370 Steering lock issues

doctor austin

Just wondering if any 370 owners have any thoughts or suggestions. From reading the posts on the Nissan 370Z forum over in the U.S. they seem to have a common issue with 2009 370z's where the steering lock fails in the locked position rendering the car unusable. Apparantly there is no warning and once failed thats it you are stuck. So from the postings some cut a wire to it, others pull out a fuse and some drive around with a spare lock in the glove box. The problem is you have to cut the wire/pull the fuse whist it still works so you can set it in the open position . I wonder if this is just a issue in the States (cold/hot weather and or different spec lock) and /or if we are about to see this over in the UK soon.....if so should we pull the fuse to it too? Any thoughts welcome....... I am just imaging ...its raining, 11:30 at night, work the next day, 20 miles from home get in press the start and the lock fails..you are then bu**ered.

also read about this - but its something to do with the barrel lock - the later ones end in a B code (not rembering exactly here) and the earlier ones in an A code - its these ones that have failed

I think :shrug:

If you are worried, I eventually dug out what they do over the pond - but obviously it affects the cars' security and maybe the insurance.

WARNING: The google link to the forum (370.com) at the bottom of that attachment currently has a bug, so go in through the forum's front door if you want to check that out ;)

370 steering lock failure safeguard.pdf