Trip Computer dials, can I add more?

JoshC

Might be a really stupid question or might be something that's been done before. I was wondering if it's possible to get hold of more dials like the trip computer on the right of the 3 gauges on the centre console and wire them into somewhere else on the dash and control them independently (i.e. enabling me to have for example the mph, time and mpg all showing at the same time on different gauges?)

I'm guessing this isn't possible but thought it would be worth asking :)

It is possible, but if you have an android phone you can get apps for that stuff which plug into your OBD port, then just mount your phone somewhere convenient?

I have an iPhone, these apps not available on there?

Is it a simple task to hook up more trip dials? Do you know what's involved?

im sure they would be avalible, ill speak 2 my mate, hes in the process of doing the same for his Galanza, we tried it on mine very briefly with a trial version of the software and it seemed to work spot on, you could also use the phone as a camera and have all the dials on the recording too!

Your best bet on an iPhone is to buy a Pioneer double din AppRadio, DashCommand app for the iPhone and a wi-fi OBD adapter. This will enable you to display all the gauges on a nice big double din screen. The refresh rate isn't great but it's a neat gadget setup.

Thanks for the replies, although....

you could also use the phone as a camera and have all the dials on the recording too!

.... this has confused me! How do you mean have the dials as a recording?

Your best bet on an iPhone is to buy a Pioneer double din AppRadio, DashCommand app for the iPhone and a wi-fi OBD adapter. This will enable you to display all the gauges on a nice big double din screen. The refresh rate isn't great but it's a neat gadget setup.

I am looking at a new headunit but got a JVC lined up and ideally I'd like the displays to be in a agauge form that I can mount in the a pillar. If I was to wire in more trip computer dials and do this, would it be as simple as wiring them up to the wires going to the existing gauge on the centre console?

It is possible, but if you have an android phone you can get apps for that stuff which plug into your OBD port, then just mount your phone somewhere convenient?

I have an iPhone, these apps not available on there?

Is it a simple task to hook up more trip dials? Do you know what's involved?

You have to jailbrake the phone then download a programme and install it via that programme.

Thanks for all the tips for the iPhone and HU dials however I'm really looking to add more dials like the trip dial on the centre console, is this possible? If so, how difficult is it to wire them in and where can I get the gauges?

Cheers :)

Thanks for all the tips for the iPhone and HU dials however I'm really looking to add more dials like the trip dial on the centre console, is this possible? If so, how difficult is it to wire them in and where can I get the gauges?

Cheers :)

You may need to spend some time searching the forum.

There is a post on here where someone has put 3 extra dials on the box cover of a car without sat nav.

Where it is i do not know.

I think you would be spending a lot of money just to get dials showing mph, mpg & time. If you were running FI and needed dials for boost etc then fair enough but you already have a speedo in front of you for mph, leave the trip computer on time and who gives a crap about mpg anyway, it will be somewhere between 20mpg & 30mpg depending on how long the trip is and how much time you spend looking at the time and your speed instead of the road :lol:

I think you would be spending a lot of money just to get dials showing mph, mpg & time. If you were running FI and needed dials for boost etc then fair enough but you already have a speedo in front of you for mph, leave the trip computer on time and who gives a crap about mpg anyway, it will be somewhere between 20mpg & 30mpg depending on how long the trip is and how much time you spend looking at the time and your speed instead of the road :lol:

My my we are on fire today arn't we dave!

+100%

I always say it how I see it :p

I always say it how I see it :p

Tis a fair point, and if it was something that was going to cost a small fortune then I wouldn't bother anyway, just thought I'd ask out of curiosity to see if it could be a relatively cheap/simple addition :)