dave1221's build thread

dave1221

a little sneak peak from the bodyshop:

0663fbb9.jpg

car should be ready this week. i got called to the bodyshop last friday due to a slight issue with the fibreglass of the front bumper, but its all good!

Are you not tempted to get the badge bit smoothed out? Would look pretty damn nice on a v2 :thumbs:

Are you not tempted to get the badge bit smoothed out? Would look pretty damn nice on a v2 :thumbs:

before i settled on the kit i must have saved around 300 photos to dropbox of zeds to give me an idea on the perfect look for me, i considered removing the badge (and fitting the canards that came with the bumper), but decided to keep the badge for now. if i ever went for the HR bonnet, i would need to smooth the lines either side of the badge, so might reconsider getting rid of the badge then.

B) looks like a very good colour match too. :thumbs:

certainly under the florescent lighting it looked pretty much perfect - i hope in natural light its still as good :)

lol, thats my speedbump damper :p

your Zed has always been one of my faves Ian, got a few pics of it saved too! i am going to stick with the badge for now tho ;)

Cheers Dave hope there's inspiration there for you :teeth:

To be honest badge or no badge still loos good.

Liking the speed bump damper :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Looks GREAT B)

Superb colour match too :#1:

Edit: saying that, is that a camera angle issue with the boot and bumper? Front end and sides look perfect.

thank you :)

The angle of the camera makes the bootlid and rear bumper look a little mismatched, the front end is perfect which im really pleased about :)

You have been busy. Pity she didn't fit in the garage.

My garage is not much bigger.

I put pipe lagging down each side and turn the mirrors in.

That way i can get up close and by reversing the drivers seat as far back as possible, found i could squeeze out

as the door is cushioned against the lagging.

Worth a few practice goes:)

You have been busy. Pity she didn't fit in the garage.

My garage is not much bigger.

I put pipe lagging down each side and turn the mirrors in.

That way i can get up close and by reversing the drivers seat as far back as possible, found i could squeeze out

as the door is cushioned against the lagging.

Worth a few practice goes:)

Where there's a will, there's a way. Very good idea. :thumbs:

• 6 months later...

bit of an update. I took the car off for winter and I decided I would have a go at recolouring the seats from Alezian to something a little different. So I bought a kit from the furniture clinic online and set to work:

seats out and masking in progress

IMG-20130223-WA0001_zpse2bf422d.jpg

First layer on:

IMG_20130223_184133_zps1533d2b3.jpg

spraying in progress:

IMG-20130311-WA0001_zps565254e5.jpg

steering wheel getting the same attention:

IMG-20130319-WA0005_zps5a7346c7.jpg

nearly there:

IMG_20130327_172856_zpsc56689ab.jpg

IMG_20130327_172905_zps4aa2a615.jpg

Nice I like it good colour choice :)

Are you not abit worried that with the heated seat on and a long drive that you maybe get hot and it will start to rub off?.

Never used leather spray before looks dodgey to me tho ha

Yea Im curious to know how this wears!

all being well should be ok. As part of the kit there were two types of sealant....a hard wearing on to be spraying on the areas that see the most contact (fronts & bolsters of the seats) and a finishing sealant to keep the colour in - this is apparently the same process as the factory when the seats are made. an excerpt from the suppliers description

....however, we have developed an extremely hard wearing top coat lacquer to seal the colour in. We supply this lacquer too many manufactures as it provides superior strength to their leather.

After colouring your leather we then spray this lacquer on top. This seals in the colour and greatly increases the life span you would expect to get from the leather. The lacquer also improves the texture of the leather giving it a smooth, soft & silky feel.

i much prefer the colour, i guess I'll see how it goes :)