Exhaust popping at idle

theheff

I've just picked up a new y pipe as the flexi is damaged and I'm getting a burning smell coming from under the car.

it's not fitted yet. I noticed today that the exhaust is popping randomly at idle. The needle is jumping at all, it's literally just the noise.

Am I right in thinking this is just being caused by the damaged flexi?

I tried recording it but it didn't come out very well.

There is no consistency in the noise. I'm also get a clunk coming from what sounds like the bottom rear of the engine bay. I'm not sure if it's happening at the same time as the popping. There is no constancy in that either. It will not do it for 30 seconds to a minute then it might happen twice in 20 seconds.

The car is idling fine and there is no movement when the popping or knocking happens, all the gauges are where they should be.

bf80c148.jpg

f6c5dfc2.jpg

Car is driving fine.

Nope, no change in the drive at all. It's the engine knock I've noticed recently that is the most concerning really. I think its too infrequent to be anything timing wise, but I'm stuck on what else could cause it. There are no issues on start up.

I suppose it could just be the exhaust banging when it's popping

Think I need to get the new y pipe on and see what happens then.