Detailing /Cleaning Newb

indy88

Hey I just recently got my Gunmetal Silver Zed and decided I need to get some cleaning/detailing gear for it.

I have read the how to and will be getting:

Lamb wool mits

Meguiars #62 Bodywork Shampoo & Conditioner

some questions I have are:

1. should I get the Meguiars Water Magnet Drying Towel

or are there more inexpensive alternatives

2. For cleaning the interior (dash, inside doors) what should be used?

Finally the front bumper has a few small stone chips, what would be the best way in terms of detailing/cleaning to make these less visible so to speak (obviously respray is the best option but funds wont allow it!)

I'm by no means a detailing expert mate, but yes, the Megs drying towel is very good :thumbs: For the interior I tend to treat as and when needed with Megs ultimate protectant dash & trim restorer. Just apply a small amount with a foam applicator pad.

Nissan do touch up kits for your stone chips which work quite well in my experience :thumbs:

Are you stocking up with clay kits/wax/leather food etc too?

I like a damp microfiber for cleaning the interior. If I use product then it's something like poor boys natural look. Nothing shiny for me inside!

Any large drying towel should work fine.

What else are you planning on using? What results do you want to achieve?

Hi,

Well I am looking to basically kit myself out with all the basics so yes clay and wax, not sure what you mean by leather food?

if anyone knows of a good supplier to use, let me know

Im just looking for a good clean as when i first picked my car up I never noticed many stone chips and recently Ive noticed quite a few on the front bumper, not sure if I missed them in the excitement when purchasing or due to the polishing/waxing job or whether theyve recently come about (only had the car 3 weeks so doubt that is the case)

+1, I'm with Stew on that, no smears and nothing shiny inside for me too. If there are greasy handmarks on the door cards use a soft brush with some warm water and wipe dry with a microfibre or even an old clean towel from the house, don't have the brush soaking wet though as you don't want water in the door electrics :)

I like a damp microfiber for cleaning the interior. If I use product then it's something like poor boys natural look. Nothing shiny for me inside!

Any large drying towel should work fine.

What else are you planning on using? What results do you want to achieve?

ok cheers just double checking on that front.

In terms of touch up paint - Im guessing il have to go to a nissan dealer to source it?

Also how difficult is it (worried I may bodge it up!) - Or do garages provide a touch up service? (Anyone on here perhaps?)

ok cheers just double checking on that front.

In terms of touch up paint - Im guessing il have to go to a nissan dealer to source it?

Also how difficult is it (worried I may bodge it up!) - Or do garages provide a touch up service? (Anyone on here perhaps?)

Chipsaway is your best bet but from expierence the amount you pay your better off going to a spray garage and getting the front end done for a proper job and prob only a few quid more, also if you have anything else that needs doing paint wise get it done at the same time as its always cheaper to get everything done then having bits sprayed at different times.

I got my front bumper, bonnet, wing mirrors, wings, doors blow in to colour match front, roof, spoiler and rebumper filled (due to 2 small bumps) and sprayed all for £680. The front end would of cost £300 on its own so nearly had the full car resprayed for under £700.

if anyone knows of a good supplier to use, let me know

Envy Valeting, a trader on here; http://www.envyvaleting.co.uk/

I also like Polished Bliss, both for products and there's some very good guides on there too; http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/

And Clean Your Car for anything neither of the above have; http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/

I'm sure others can/will recommend others too. :thumbs:

Just to clarify my previous comment re: Megs dash and trim restorer - I don't go too crazy with it as I can imagine it may come up shiny if applied with a trowel :lol: I've used it sparingly a couple of times for places that can tend to get scuffed from time to time (i.e. the black plastic on the door sills, the black plastic covering the rear strut bar). Works really well in getting rid of the scuffs that water can't :thumbs:

Leather food is good stuff to keep your seats in good condition. Think I've got some of this on the go at the mo:

http://shop.autoglym.com/interior-clean ... -balm.html

Halfords do most of the Meguairs stuff, and I used these guys recently:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/

Was pretty impressed with their service