Nice, France

Hi all,

My Wife and I are off to Nice, France on Saturday for 5 Nights(wedding anniversary)

Just wondering if any members have been? and could give some advice on

dos and don'ts while there. i know you all over on mainland are getting lots of sun, but us here in

N.Ireland haven't seen it for months, so looking forward to some sunshine. :sun:

Nice is lovely, but you should go and visit some of the towns / villages surrounding.

Particularly Monaco if you get the chance. It's about 1 euro on the bus (Or at least it was).

There is also a Matisse museum / exhibition which is well worth a trip if you're into that sort of thing! :thumbs:

Hi mate,

I go down that way of France every year :) I have a flat in Port Grimaud which is about an hours and half along the coast. Going back out there on Friday for a week :) Will you be staying in Nice or thinking of Travelling a little? Would def say it is worth going to Monaco and St Tropez this time of the year as the weather and the views will be amazing :) also some spectacular boats and more importantly cars ;)

Henry

+1 on the surrounding areas. Monaco, Eze, Menton, Antibes, Cannes, etc. If in Cannes or Juan les Pins, go to Ile St. Marguerite for a nice secluded beach spot. I'm sure you'll find plenty of things to keep you busy for 5 days...

If you're hiring a car, I would very very highly recommend crossing the border into Italy as the part immediately after you cross the border is fanstastically beautiful with amazing little towns dotted on hilltops, awesome food and imho far better than any of the comparatively fake places on the french side which only exist during the summer months and are tailored to tourists.

Hi,

Thanks for all tips so far :thumbs: .

We will be based in Nice for the 5 nights in the hotel PALAIS DE LA MEDITERRANÉE.

We do intend to see Cannes and Monaco while there, also EZE which someone mentioned already, believe its the perfume capital

of the world and a very beautiful place.

really looking forward to it,

keep the recommendations coming. :thumbs:

If you're hiring a car, I would very very highly recommend crossing the border into Italy as the part immediately after you cross the border is fanstastically beautiful with amazing little towns dotted on hilltops, awesome food and imho far better than any of the comparatively fake places on the french side which only exist during the summer months and are tailored to tourists.

You wouldn't even need to hire a car, just take the train from Nice to Ventimiglia, there's loads of cheap buses from there, just check the timetables. Done that last year, it was great

We went last October, recommend you take the city bus tour, hop on and off at will, gives you a good idea of the place. Also recommend you walk up to the Colline du Chateau, great views from the top. As well as Monaco, Menton and Antibes are worth a visit. Restaurants can be pricey but some excellent small family run ones away from the promanade. we found a cracking one in Rue Grimaldi called Chez Davia, doesn't look much from the outside but great food and atmosphere and you don't need a mortgage for the bill. Have a great time.

We went last October, recommend you take the city bus tour, hop on and off at will, gives you a good idea of the place. Also recommend you walk up to the Colline du Chateau, great views from the top. As well as Monaco, Menton and Antibes are worth a visit. Restaurants can be pricey but some excellent small family run ones away from the promanade. we found a cracking one in Rue Grimaldi called Chez Davia, doesn't look much from the outside but great food and atmosphere and you don't need a mortgage for the bill. Have a great time.

Thanks, taking note of all tips and recommendations, much appreciated.:smile:

one other thing, taxis to and from the airport cost an arm and a leg, 40 euros for a ten minute drive, get a bus.

one other thing, taxis to and from the airport cost an arm and a leg, 40 euros for a ten minute drive, get a bus.

+1 the bus services in the South of France are brilliant and very cheap. I fly into Toulon Airport and get a bus to Port Grimaud for 2 euros :)