A bit of PC help Please!!

EH 370z

Guys

Just come from my Dads house to find him sweating profusely as he appears to have locked himself out of his PC (Windows7) :headhurt:

Basically he was doing an up date to a family tree on line, he follow some instructions and now cannot change anything on the computer, eg he cant every put a new folder on the desk top with out a box saying you cannot access the C drive is not accessible. Further more when you try and look at the C: drive in the computer setting it says its empty?? :scare:

The admin setting say he has every working and he has full access but obviously not - Any suggestions guys?? :surrender:

Thanks in advance

T

right click the c drive

click properties

click on security tab

check that permissions are correct for full control, modify etc

Thanks Mr Bee!

Done that and it takes you to a continue button ( before the last step of your suggestion), when pressed it says "cannot access control editor. access is denied" :rant:

try this

Step 1:-

Start your computer in Safe mode.

Steps to start your computer in Safe mode with Command Prompt,

1. Restart your computer and before Windows logon screen appears press F8 continuously which will bring “Advanced Boot” options.

2. Please select “Safe mode with Command Prompt” and hit enter to start it.

Safe Mode is a Diagnostic Mode of Microsoft Windows Operating System running with minimal set of services and drivers.

Step 2:-

1. At the command prompt, type – NET USER Administrator /active:yes

This will enable the built-in Administrator account.

2. Type NET STOP ProfSvc in Command Prompt to stop the User Profile service if you get any error message.

3. This command line utility will bring you back to the login page along with an Administrator login.

Note: - If you did not set up a password when you configured the system the Administrator login will not have a password.

4. Press Control-Alt-Delete key simultaneously to start Task manager.

5. In Applications tab, click on New Task and type explorer.exe in empty box.

6. Now, you will be able to get to Desktop.

Step 3: -

Take ownership of C drive, do the following:

1. Right-click the C Drive and then click Properties.

2. Click the Security tab.

3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

4. In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group.

5. Click on Edit and then put a check mark against "Replace all existing inheritable permissions on all descendants with inheritable permissions from this object".

6. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:

This will replace explicitly defined permissions on all descendants of this object with inheritable permissions from C-Drive (C:).

Do you wish to continue?

7. Once the permissions are replaced, click on Ok.

8. Check if you are able to copy, paste or delete any documents now.

Step 4: -

If the above steps fail then you may also want to disable UAC and check if that helps.

To change UAC settings

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2. In Control Panel, click User Accounts.

3. In the User Accounts window, click User Accounts.

4. In the User Accounts tasks window, click Turn User Account Control on or off.

5. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Yes.

6. In the Security section of the Windows Solution Center page, click Adjust UAC Settings.

7. On the User Account Control Settings page:

1. To disable UAC, move the slider to Never notify, and then click OK.

2. To enable UAC or change levels of notification, move the slider to the appropriate notification option, and then click OK.

yep - UAC is the most likely cause

but its always good to start at the start !! :blush:

I know its a straight google search but, I have done this procedure before and sucessfully :thumbs:

yep - UAC is the most likely cause

but its always good to start at the start !! :blush:

I know its a straight google search but, I have done this procedure before and sucessfully :thumbs:

Yes almost certainly, the first thing I do on any windows PC is turn of UAC it is a complete PITA....

"Do you want the following program to make changes to this computer"

Yes that's why I ran it :rant:

Hold on gents I have followed the instructions to the letter, but we have had a custard pie at step three, when we have tried to go from action 1 to 2 we are getting the same problem dialog box again.

We then jumped to step 4 and we are having the same issue. So thinking we may have done something wrong we are attempting step three again :headhurt:

Just as another observation, the C drive looks empty as I have said but the D drive looks pretty full. Would this suggest something abnormal?

Can you access the 'D' drive to see if it has a windows folder

No, double left clicked on the D drive and it just says recovery. Also when right clicking on it to access the users it is self populated with SYSTEM and we cannot click any of the proper users from this list below (ie my dad)

Sounds like the D drive is just a back up partition then.

Does you Dad have a lot of stuff on the desktop i.e. folders of pictures etc? If not then you will probably have a restore disk that might be your only option...

Thanks SMD we have resorted to doing this and so far so good :thumbs:

Thanks again to everybody for their assistance :)

T