Brake pads on Brembos for Track days

CrumbMC

Hi all.

A month ago i upgraded my front discs to DBA t3 4000 and pads to Ferrodo DS2500

A long story short, the Ferrodos which i used on my last discs were great on the road, can't cope with driving on track.

They did not like the excessive heat and were completely borked after one and a half track days.

I have use of a works vehicle now so i only ever drive the Z when I want to go for a serious drive or if i'm going to a circuit. Therefore i'm quite keen to get some pads that will have some decent cold performance, but more importantly take a lot of punishment on track (around 20 min sessions) and fast road.

I have read a lot of posts on this part of the forum but am struggling to filter out the genuine information for very heavy brake useage from every day use and plugs. I thought it would be nice to have a very focussed thread on Pads for this specific type of use.

Trackpig has reccomended EBC blue / yellow stuff pads. The blue look like they would be perfect for the track as i don't think i'd have any problem heating them up. However i'm a bit unsure what they would be like on the road. The yellow seem more suitable but i'm aware the Z is a heavy car and don't want to end up in the same situation i was with the ferrodos - having to change them after such limited running.

Reccomendations would be appreciated, but please only if you have experience with the afformentioned driving style.

I used bluestuff on the road and track and they were still ok just not brilliant until some heat in them.

I run yellowstuff on road and track and they're fine but do eventually overheat.

Bluestuff would not fade at all but did wear uneven due to heat getting to the calipers and causing flex. This was my fault as I should have cooled down more but decided that because the pads weren't fading and fluid wasn't boiling I was good to keep pushing. Remember and upgrade your fluid to the likes of motul rbf660 or similar

Thanks for the quick replies

I have braided lines and Motul RBF 660 brake fluid. I haven't had any problems with fade since upgrading to this set-up. I am just looking for a much more durable pad that still has ok cold performance.

Alex, my car has a couple of minor performance mods (exhaust, panel filter) but no up-rev so is pretty much standard in power terms

This was my fault as I should have cooled down more but decided that because the pads weren't fading and fluid wasn't boiling I was good to keep pushing. Remember and upgrade your fluid to the likes of motul rbf660 or similar

That sounds familiar. :blush: My callipers did change from the light bronze to a much deeper coppery colour on my last track day. after i noticed this happening i started doing shorter stints.

Would you say the Blue-stuff were a quality pad? The website claims that they are suitable for endurance racing which would lead me to believe they would be good for quite a few track days.

I hear a lot of slander towards ebc products but i can't help but think this is from people who have not been using the correct one for their application.

As Neil says, blue stuffs are pretty good on track. My preferred choice would be the Performance Friction 01 pads, but value for money the Blues are great. I'm only running around 300bhp on road tyres at the moment. I'm going to try slicks soon and I have a feeling I may need to upgrade to larger rotors, but we'll see.

I'm off to Blyton this weekend and have Rockingham booked on the 12th August (http://www.bookatrack.co.uk) - come along, it'd be good to meet up with more 350Z trackers.