Northern France

DannyP

So on Saturday I'm off on holiday to Normandy. Holiday time :yahoo: .

It's the first time I've driven to France and want to make the drive a little bit special (however the girlfriend might not agree with my definition of special ;) ). So, was wondering if anyone knows of a couple of nice roads to give the Zed a nice blast in on the way :drive1 .

Also if anyone has any extra tips for generally driving in France it would be much appreciated. :teeth:

Also if anyone has any extra tips for generally driving in France it would be much appreciated. :teeth:

Don't speed, They gone a little bit nuts on speeding in the last couple of years.

160KM/h will earn you a 90euro fine. If you don't have the cash they will take you to a cash machine.

They have started confiscating cars and selling them at auction at over 40km/h over the limit.

Expect to be checked for Drink Driving. Normally checked at roundabouts during lunch time. There's a new law about carrying two breathalyser in the car.

Don't speed, They gone a little bit nuts on speeding in the last couple of years.

160KM/h will earn you a 90euro fine. If you don't have the cash they will take you to a cash machine.

They have started confiscating cars and selling them at auction at over 40km/h over the limit.

Expect to be checked for Drink Driving. Normally checked at roundabouts during lunch time. There's a new law about carrying two breathalyser in the car.

F**k me I didnt know about that!! Bloody Froggy police :rant: Better keep the speed down!!! So any roads where within the speed limit can be fun? :lol:

But I did know about the breathalysers, sorted all that stuff already.

In towns, slow down for every intersection and be prepared for another car to come in from the right. They have "priorite a droite", (priority on the right) in France, Belgium, Holland and Denmark that I know of. You must give way to traffic entering an intersection from the right unless they have a give way sign or double lines painted on the road. Even if there are flashing yellow lights on each intersecting road, priority on the right still operates.

Since the late 70's, early 80's when they changed their roundabout system to give way on entry like ours, they have gradually reduced the amount of priority on the right intersections in towns. Ironically this has made the situation more dangerous as you don't know which ones are and which aren't. So, my advice would be slow down to a crawl just to make sure, even if it annoys everyone else.

Hopefully these countries will soon creep into the 21st century. Rules like these are not just part of the cultural differences we go to enjoy like the chateaux, museums, wine, sun, motoring and motor racing. They are, at the least, expensive when things go tits up and life threatening at the worst.

:angry:

I've just got back from driving through France to Switzerland and back from Belgium. Didn't have any problems at all. Stuck to doing 10km above speed limit and drove on cruise control for most of the way.

I know, this doesn't sound exciting but the roads are nice to drive on and really good quality.

As the others have said, check you've got one breathalyser (only need one unless you're going to use it) and have the other stuff, fluorescent jacket, warning triangle etc. Also, make sure you've updated your satnav as they will fine anyone who's got a speed camera warning device or a satnav which shows the positions of speed cameras.

Other than that, just keep an eye out for the warning signs of speed cameras and then they normally have one within a km of it.

hello bud, you dont say how you are getting over? ferry to calais? le havre?

to be honest the roads in northern france ore not the greatest driving roads in the world.. the odd suprise can be found though :drive1

i have found that the old coast roads tend to be much more interesting than many of the inland roads. northern france is very aggricultural so tends to be quite flat with straight flat roads but head to the coast and there are some intersting bits to be had.

i was happily suprised how good the road from calais to boulogne sur mer was as an example

if your near a vist to Honfleur is recommended.. not for the driving but its just a nice town

for future referance the Ardene area has some fantastic roads and scenery to go with it and is only a couple of hours from Calais

have fun and dive safe

:thumbs:

You need a hi vis for each occupant and a warning triangle which must be in the car NOT in the boot too, get a Nissan Micra set of bulbs from flea bay :)

Yeah I've got the Hi-Vis but keep stchumm about the bulbs ;)

+1, some areas have removed the camera signs :thumbdown: , you can use satnav approved by the French Government and they have allowed "dangerous areas" to be flagged up by your satnav, this doesn't mean there will definitely be a camera on that length of road and the length of road in the warning has to be 4km long. And we thought it was bad in the UK :scare: Garmin has approval. :)

I've just got back from driving through France to Switzerland and back from Belgium. Didn't have any problems at all. Stuck to doing 10km above speed limit and drove on cruise control for most of the way.

I know, this doesn't sound exciting but the roads are nice to drive on and really good quality.

As the others have said, check you've got one breathalyser (only need one unless you're going to use it) and have the other stuff, fluorescent jacket, warning triangle etc. Also, make sure you've updated your satnav as they will fine anyone who's got a speed camera warning device or a satnav which shows the positions of speed cameras.

Other than that, just keep an eye out for the warning signs of speed cameras and then they normally have one within a km of it.

hello bud, you dont say how you are getting over? ferry to calais? le havre?

to be honest the roads in northern france ore not the greatest driving roads in the world.. the odd suprise can be found though :drive1

i have found that the old coast roads tend to be much more interesting than many of the inland roads. northern france is very aggricultural so tends to be quite flat with straight flat roads but head to the coast and there are some intersting bits to be had.

i was happily suprised how good the road from calais to boulogne sur mer was as an example

if your near a vist to Honfleur is recommended.. not for the driving but its just a nice town

for future referance the Ardene area has some fantastic roads and scenery to go with it and is only a couple of hours from Calais

have fun and dive safe

:thumbs:

We're getting the ferry over to Calais and then staying about halfway between Saint-Lo and Granville. The girlfriends parents have a holiday home there.

It looks like our trip will go just past Honfleur so may pop in for a nosey. Also thinking of taking the coastal road between Calais and Boulogne sur Mer based on your advice :thumbs: