Instant rust???

rogerxp

Like a knob I clipped my rear arch on the narrow entrance to my office carpark (in fact, clipped the metal spring attached to the garage door arm), most of the scratches have simply rubbed away, but where the rear wing meets the rear section, it's knicked the paint a little.

This is, I only did it last week, the area has rusted over already in that time.

Bugger. Going to have to get it sorted out pronto. Anyone any idea of cost?? My local garage quoted about £250 to me the other day saying they needed to spray the whole panel and 'rub' it into the rear section (or something like that). Sounded a lot to me but I'm no expert.

I'm really not having much luck with this car :blush:

Yup, certainly possible. That's only very mild surface rust you're looking at, but once exposed to the elements it doesn't take long.

Blending the paint in is the correct method, so I'd expect to pay a couple of hundred quid to get that sorted.

Quote does not sound too exagerated especially for a good job. You might be able to get it cheaper if you shop around it sounds towards the top of what i would expect but small jobs are often not much cheaper than big ones!.

As its often difficult to get an exact colour match so they "blend" the colour with the panels around the area sprayed so you cant see where it has been resprayed. If they dont do that the chances are your care will look different colours!

So althoughthe damaged area may be small it may require a much larger area to be sprayed so it looks good. :thumbs:

If you go with a "smart" repair that will only do the area unless you are very lucky it will standout like a sore thumb.

Like a knob I clipped my rear arch on the narrow entrance to my office carpark (in fact, clipped the metal spring attached to the garage door arm), most of the scratches have simply rubbed away, but where the rear wing meets the rear section, it's knicked the paint a little.

This is, I only did it last week, the area has rusted over already in that time.

Bugger. Going to have to get it sorted out pronto. Anyone any idea of cost?? My local garage quoted about £250 to me the other day saying they needed to spray the whole panel and 'rub' it into the rear section (or something like that). Sounded a lot to me but I'm no expert.

I'm really not having much luck with this car :blush:

I paid more than that to have a small scratch on the door from a lamp post sprayed out by a decent body shop. Depending on where it is, they have to blend it with the adjacent panel to create a perfect match. If they do a good job on that scratch (ie the repair is totally invisible to the naked eye) I'd say £250 isn't unreasonable :thumbs: