New Rock

Kev946

In the beginning of 1974, an estimate of 400 000 peoples showed up. They went to see bands like; Emerson Lake & Palmer, America, Black Sabbath, Earth Wind & Fire etc. But the big one was Deep Purple. 1500 workers to handle security, hot dogs etc. Well over one million gallons of water ready, equipment enough to cover several miles, a railway to fit in the gear for each band etc etc. One of the biggest show to this writing date.

Deep Purple had a contract that said, that they were "on" at sundown. This show runned unlike other shows early. A man in charge of the show came to the band and said; Right! Your` on!! Ritchie Blackmore said; No, I`m not going..! He was waiting for the sundown like the contract said. The man from NBC started to use a invented language, screaming and shouting. Ritchie still said no. The NBC man got the local sheriff to handle Ricthie. But they locked Ritchie in a room backstage. The audience got more and more anoyed, but after about an well half-hour the sun went down. The group started with "BURN". Richie tried to tell the cameraman on stage to move back, because he needed more space. He told him about five times to move, but the cameraman on the stage didn`t listen. So Ritchie got his revenge by smashing his guitar into the cameralince. It is all in the video. At the end of the concert, Blackmores middle Marshall-rack amplifier was gonna blow up. The roadie responsible for that, wanted a big blast. So he did put too much explosives in, so the blast kicked Ritchie forward on the stage. Even keybordist Jon Lord on the other side of the stage felt the blast well. This is well showed in the video. A miracle none got hurt, according to Jon Lord in a interview. A lot of Stratocasters ended up as souvenirs to the audience this evening. This concert is really music history.

I Doubt very much that the clash were louder than these. ;)

Woodstock? No - that was '69 wasn't it?

Where was the '74 event?

In the beginning of 1974, an estimate of 400 000 peoples showed up. They went to see bands like; Emerson Lake & Palmer, America, Black Sabbath, Earth Wind & Fire etc. But the big one was Deep Purple. 1500 workers to handle security, hot dogs etc. Well over one million gallons of water ready, equipment enough to cover several miles, a railway to fit in the gear for each band etc etc. One of the biggest show to this writing date.

Deep Purple had a contract that said, that they were "on" at sundown. This show runned unlike other shows early. A man in charge of the show came to the band and said; Right! Your` on!! Ritchie Blackmore said; No, I`m not going..! He was waiting for the sundown like the contract said. The man from NBC started to use a invented language, screaming and shouting. Ritchie still said no. The NBC man got the local sheriff to handle Ricthie. But they locked Ritchie in a room backstage. The audience got more and more anoyed, but after about an well half-hour the sun went down. The group started with "BURN". Richie tried to tell the cameraman on stage to move back, because he needed more space. He told him about five times to move, but the cameraman on the stage didn`t listen. So Ritchie got his revenge by smashing his guitar into the cameralince. It is all in the video. At the end of the concert, Blackmores middle Marshall-rack amplifier was gonna blow up. The roadie responsible for that, wanted a big blast. So he did put too much explosives in, so the blast kicked Ritchie forward on the stage. Even keybordist Jon Lord on the other side of the stage felt the blast well. This is well showed in the video. A miracle none got hurt, according to Jon Lord in a interview. A lot of Stratocasters ended up as souvenirs to the audience this evening. This concert is really music history.

Where was the '74 event?

Ontario speedway in California. i had the original video on vhs but last year it was remastered and put onto dvd. :thumbs:

http://www.deep-purple.net/review-files ... caljam.htm

Where was the '74 event?

Ontario speedway in California. i had the original video on vhs but last year it was remastered and put onto dvd. :thumbs:

Ah - that would be the concert when Richie tried to burn his own hair off! I had forgotten that ELP etc were on the same bill.

Where was the '74 event?

Then when you see that watch this.... this is an absolute master class in hard rock and guitar playing at its absolute best.!!! :thumbs:

http://www.deep-purple.net/review-files ... nich77.htm