Different specs of JDM

nixy

Can anyone tell me if the standard spec still has traction control and/or ESP?

The importer sent me one to look at this afternoon with a view to placing a bid, which stated it was a standard but had leather and brembo's which were presumably added as 'options' - it also had the small rear spoiler but I'm worried about lack of anything else.

I Japan you get 4-5 different standard specs...

http://www.DELETED.com/350z-info.htm

states that there are :

Coupe

Fairlady Z

Fairlady Z Version T

Fairlady Z Version S

Fairlady Z Version ST

Fairlady Z 35th Anniversary Edition

Nismo S-Tune GT

Roadster

Fairlady Z

Fairlady Z Version T

I think (but not 100% sure) from versionT onwards all Jap spec come with BREMBOS, and possibly fit RR spoiler, though I thought the spoiler was the aerodynamic aid required only for European unique high speed driving conditions...

The basic spec I think is the one with 17" alloys, and the 200SX brake system, so you really neet to be looking for T-spec of higher...

I am pretty sure that if it has the uprated brakes it will have the Traction control as standard... in fact I bet they all come with ESP/VDC as std... but also very easy to check

ask your friendly dealer to look round about where his knee would be when pressing the accelerator and there should be a button with ESP or VDC written on it...

ESP -Electronic Stability Program (Common term for Europe)

VDC- Vehicle Dynamic Control ( Common term used in Japan or US I think)

The basic spec only has Traction control?

Can i ask to confirm if my understanding is correct?

Traction Control : is purely a system to regulate the power to the wheels to prevent wheelspin, when you try and pull away too quickly or if a wheel looses traction, but this system has no "correction of ****-up" capability.

ESP/VDC is the system which combines ABS, Traction control and a whole set of sensors ( lateral accel, yaw sensor, etc...) , so that it not only detects wheel spin and tries to correct it, but it also detects if the car goes "out of line" and individually brakes each wheel to bring the car back in line...

Is this correct do 350z have 2 systems?

I though they would have all come with EDP/VDC only... :dry:

Nixy, if the button in the car you are looking says only TCS I suggest you don't bother with it... keep looking I think you can get one with ESP/VDC, it will be worth it "that one time" ( or two or three....) the car steps out of line :headhurt:

Traction Control : is purely a system to regulate the power to the wheels to prevent wheelspin, when you try and pull away too quickly or if a wheel looses traction, but this system has no "correction of ****-up" capability.

ESP/VDC is the system which combines ABS, Traction control and a whole set of sensors ( lateral accel, yaw sensor, etc...) , so that it not only detects wheel spin and tries to correct it, but it also detects if the car goes "out of line" and individually brakes each wheel to bring the car back in line...

Nixy, if the button in the car you are looking says only TCS I suggest you don't bother with it... keep looking I think you can get one with ESP/VDC, it will be worth it "that one time" ( or two or three....) the car steps out of line :headhurt:

Nixy I suggest you take no notice...mine only has the TCS system on ,the EDP thing is only a gimmick it will not stop you having an accident ;) ask SimonD... mind you I drive with the TCS off all the time anyway so it wouldnt matter either way

Nixy I suggest you take no notice...mine only has the TCS system on ,the EDP thing is only a gimmick it will not stop you having an accident ;) ask SimonD... mind you I drive with the TCS off all the time anyway so it wouldnt matter either way

Nixy, ignore both of them ;) . What you do here depends on your own assessment of your driving skills. I note you're coming from a FWD Civic but have no idea whether you've driven powerful RWD cars before. Skilled and experienced drivers like lomoto :p tend to think that they don't need the driver aids and may even argue that they get in their way when trying to correct a slide. Others, like myself, brought up on a diet of hot hatches and FWD, take the view that its there for a reason and like to have the added security.

Generally, the Zed is a pretty predictable car but it does have the best part of 300 bhp through the rear wheels and when you're not concentrating 100%, like at the end of a hard day, can bite particularly if conditions are poor. The ESP is an aid which can help you but provides guarantees as it can't defy the laws of physics.

I would say that unless you are very confident in your abilities I would seek out a car with the ESP. As you gain confidence you can always turn it off but it could save your bacon before you get to that point. :)

But I thought you had the base version? whick would make sense. Remember we all had this talk before and don't think any of us came to any conclusive answers. Is there anyone that can confirm the specs for models? :thumbs:

JDM Specs

Base---17" wheels, ABS,Brake assist,TCS,limited slip diff,xenon headlights

Version T---- leather seats, seven speaker bose

Version S-- 18" rims Brembo's and VDc(instead of TCS ? )but no leather

Version ST--leather +Version S spec

rear spoilers/sat nav and side airbags ordered as extras on all specs + loads of other Extras not seen on UK cars like auto fold mirrors ,different steering wheels, footwell illumination etc etc...

this info gleaned from the 350z Car Story book by Brian Long (blame him if it's not 100% correct, but what I have found out in 12 months of ownership it looks to hold water ) :)

sorry for seemingly opening up a very wormy can! I think between you my question has been answered ta. Yes I'm from fwd hot hatch school too, two golf gti's and 2 litre pug cc before although I have had a rwd 3 series BMW compact which I crawled in when it was icy out here in the sticks! Have to confirm full spec before bidding so if it's not right that will be that until the next one I like comes up. When I get to the end of this process I might do a little write up whichever way it turns out!

ESP/VDC gimmick... :dry:

if you are an excellent driver maybe... if you are a normal driver it could be a lifesaver... and I do say it could be... not 100% but I would always prefer to increase my chances ...

I know this clip is on snow but it shows much more clearly how gimmicky ESP/VDC/VSC etc is... :dry:

TCS I think is shown clearly in the test trying to go up a 10% slope and preventing wheel spin...

But If my undestanding is correct, TCS will not get you out of the slalom test which is shown around 5minutes into the clip...to get that level of control I think you need ESP/VDC/VSC whatever it is called... :wacko:

I bought a JDM & dealer had no idea whether T or ST etc. When I got there it had Brembos/Alezan leather/xenons/heated seats & a button on the lower right of dash saying VDC, therefore it is an ST model, equivilant of UK GT. But it had no steering wheel controls like Gt's. In Japan there were various models produced, many may have been base but decided to add as an option Brembos etc. Also most steering wheel control options in Japan are different & seem to be customer options. Therefore I would judge each car individually, its not as clearcut as UK GT models, though not at all complicated.

Coupe

Fairlady Z

Fairlady Z Version T

Fairlady Z Version S

Fairlady Z Version ST

Roadster

Fairlady Z

Fairlady Z Version T

a quick search on here will give you all the trims too.

PS the models I deleted are not going to be the ones you are looking for ;)

but essentially all have at least traction control which was my worry so that's ok.

careful as this was a discussion point on here a while back, there's quite a few different codes for the driver aids, traction control, esp, vdc and possibly another one which i can't remember.

Lomoto did a little research into this in that thread, tim, you remember where it was?