Exhaust blowing causing MOT failure

Donut Dave

Hi,

I have only had my 350 a week or 2 & I thought I'd put it through an MOT to see how it does.

It has failed the emissions test, due to a major leak in the exhaust system.

Will this be expensive to rectify?

Do I stick with standard OEM parts, or would an alternative be better?

Dave

Where is it blowing?

Assuming its the connection by the backbox or on a flexi joint, then a £50 weld will see you right. You could go for a full replacement system, but if you're happy with what you've got then a repair will sort it. :)

As Dan has suggested, you can have the joint repaired with a sleeve welded in place, or we can supply you with a new exhaust system, the Cobra and Scorpion exhausts that we offer would fit the bill perfectly… :)

Exhausts can be seen here - http://cougarstore.co.uk/index.php?main ... cPath=1_10

If you need any more info, please do get in touch... :thumbs:

You are not the first:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57477&hilit=exhaust+repair

All depends upon the severity of the failure as to welding or whether you would prefer a new exhaust (recommended if the ££££'s allow)

But don't buy new from Nissan (unless you have money to burn - in which case I'll have some for my BBQ :teeth: ) Plenty of traders on here can provide better systems at far cheaper prices :thumbs:

OK< thanks for the clear responses!

I have been reading the threads & trying to get my head round the different exhausts & jargon etc.

So a Cobra for £425 or a Scorpion for £374 is the exhaust system? Is it just that, that I would need to replace?

WHat is the difference between them? How long do they take to deliver?

I have been reading the threads & trying to get my head round the different exhausts & jargon etc.

So a Cobra for £425 or a Scorpion for £374 is the exhaust system? Is it just that, that I would need to replace?

Depends where it it blowing. Y pipe or back box flange ??

Did they say where the exhaust was leaking from, usual culprit area is where the mid pipe meets the rear silencer, if so, then either the Scorpion or Cobra will overcome the above issue as they both replace the mid pipe and rear silencer.

Best to check where the leak is from though first, if it’s the above it should be fairly easy to check and confirm.

The Cobra takes circa a week, as they’re made to order, the Scorpion is about the same too, the Cobra allows you to choose the tailpipe too, so you can customise it, you can choose from one of these tail pipe choices…

534.jpg

:thumbs:

Depends where it it blowing. Y pipe or back box flange ??

Nope, they were about to close, but said that they will get the car on ramp tomorrow & tell me where it's blowing. What difference does y pipe or back box flange mean? SOrry I am ignorant on exhausts

Did they say where the exhaust was leaking from, usual culprit area is where the mid pipe meets the rear silencer, if so, then either the Scorpion or Cobra will overcome the above issue as they both replace the mid pipe and rear silencer.

Best to check where the leak is from though first, if it’s the above it should be fairly easy to check and confirm.

The Cobra takes circa a week, as they’re made to order, the Scorpion is about the same too, the Cobra allows you to choose the tailpipe too, so you can customise it, you can choose from one of these tail pipe choices…

534.jpg

:thumbs:

OK thanks for advice.

I noticed when I bought the car, that there was white gunk on the joint between the mid pipe & rear silencer, so I knocked seller down a bit. So I am guessing, that was a bodge job to cover it up.

Are there any other differences between Cobra & Scorpion? WOuld a garage charge much to fit one of these?