iPod hack cable?

B3n5253

It's pretty easy, hardest part is soldering the cable wires and securing them to the back of the headunit and be careful when re-installing - I accidentally pulled the wire out putting the unit back in the dash so had to start over again.

All done :-) !! Sound quality is really good!

I would like 2 say a big thanx to anyone who was involved in making any of the guides and working out how to do it!

I thought that I would pull the wires out by accident as well. so I cable tied the cable to back of the unit so if I pulled it I would just pull on the cable tie of you know what I mean!

Im now planing to fit a socket somewhere in one of the pockets. A bit like what you see on cars 2day.

Will post pics when finished :-)

Did you remove the spring as per the guide? I did this to mine about 2 months ago and cant get it to work, wondered if it had anything to do with that?

I need to pull the unit out again and have a proper look really, bit annoying as its a faff with sat nav.

Will

Sorry mte quite a distance away. Near Brighton.

I followed the iPod hack guide on the forum. Then i drilled a hole in the bit that removes for the handbrake. Then just cut off the 3.5mm jack plug and connected it 2 the socket.

The socket came from maplin.

3.5mm stereo chassis socket

Hope this helps can explain in more detail if needed.

Good job! :thumbs:

Would be brilliant if you could let me know what parts are needed to do the job, especially the AUX port!

Dont suppose your based near Hemel and work for coin & cake? :)

Me too :)

Hennerz - Why don't we meet up seeing as how close we are and get both cars sorted out in an afternoon?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all

I done the iPod Hack this weekend, and have a few tips to add to the excellent guide:

Tip 1

I decided to use speaker cable instead of chopping up a 3.5mm jack cable, and added a 3rd cable for the grounding. The tip here is use the thin cables if you do this, not multi strand oxygen free like I did as its a pain to solder onto the circuit board, as well as the socket on the other side.

Tip 2

Take your CDs out the stereo first. You're fighting with the centre console to manoeuvre it out, and on top of everything else you keep pressing eject and have your CDs firing out at you.

Tip 3

Use a decent soldering iron. I bought one for £10 from Maplin and it just took too long to heat anything up. It was more gradual then instant which is what you want when soldering.

Anyway, here's my finished job:

Just tried to do this using my iPad. Can anyone tell me why I can't post images using my iPad

Defo something I want to do soon, CD's are old school enough, let alone cassettes!!

Looking to use an Apple dock connectoir to L+R RCA, Video RCA and USB.

Hopefully I can use teh L+R for the hack and the Video to a screen in the future.

Also mod teh USB so I can charge at teh same time!

Great work on the 3.5mm female install, looks OEM. :thumbs: