Replacing Bose

Ian

Im planning to change the Bose unit for something a bit better. Ive searched throught the threads in here and I need to check what I need to buy.

So far the list is

Headunit & Autoleads Adaptor

Do I need anything else for it to work with the UK Bose setup?

Id prefer a double din unit that works with my Ipod but I only have a budget of £300 for the headunit at the moment.

This and This are the 2 that I like, Id prefer the clarion unit. Any views on these units or any other recomendations?

:thumbs:

not sure about the micro harness - still havent got round to fixing my steering wheel controls back up to the head unit since I changed it..

I have installed the Kenwood DPX-501U that you *were* considering and the used the pac kit.. works OK but I don't really like the headunit much, one major pain in the bum is that it only plays files from USB stick when they are encoded at 192k or less and skips terribly on higher quality stuff.. which means I have to re-encode stuff for the car..

I also find the radio on it doesnt have much gain on the antenna - hard to receive channels even in SW london.. not that I use the radio much..

I have the bose yes - and it works pretty decently with it, no noise or anything and sounds fine..

the kenwood unit is OK - it plays CD's and USB fine (providing they are 192kbps or less); you get some software you can use to copy stuff to usb sticks etc (the software is pretty decent - and does include functions to create voice indexes so that it will say what album youre selecting etc).. the display is pretty readable except in direct bright sunlight. I am not experienced at all with car audio installs and managed to get it working - after I realised it needed the pwr/ant connection connected or it wouldnt power on (seemed a bit strange to me!)

i didn't want a screen based system as I am intending to put a touchscreen in the sat-nav cubby at some point, and I didn't fancy the look of 2 screens (visual overload!). anyway if I wasnt intending to add a car pc I would have spent more and got a screen based dvd, probably jvc one..

I'm thinking of getting the Pioneer Avic-hd1bt. Don't know if this model is the same for you UK guys.

I normally like Alpine, but I don't like the way it sticks out quite a bit in the Z (the popular double din model, can't remember the name exactly).

I have the bose yes - and it works pretty decently with it, no noise or anything and sounds fine..

the kenwood unit is OK - it plays CD's and USB fine (providing they are 192kbps or less); you get some software you can use to copy stuff to usb sticks etc (the software is pretty decent - and does include functions to create voice indexes so that it will say what album youre selecting etc).. the display is pretty readable except in direct bright sunlight. I am not experienced at all with car audio installs and managed to get it working - after I realised it needed the pwr/ant connection connected or it wouldnt power on (seemed a bit strange to me!)

i didn't want a screen based system as I am intending to put a touchscreen in the sat-nav cubby at some point, and I didn't fancy the look of 2 screens (visual overload!). anyway if I wasnt intending to add a car pc I would have spent more and got a screen based dvd, probably jvc one..

:thumbs: Just what I wanted to hear :D

Did you buy a surround kit for it?

Ive gone off the idea of the screen at the moment & think ill just get a single din alpine with ipod link B)