Road resurfacing

Stretch

Had to pop out this morning and, if the horrendous weather wasn't enough, the clowns contracted by the council had been at it with their tar and chippings :rant::angry: (no disrespect meant to any road maintenance people on here :lol: ) Correct me if I'm mistaken but the whole sorry procedure hasn't progressed in the fourty years since I was regularly chastised as a child for treading tar into the house and ripping the knees out of my trousers when skidding off my bike on the patches of excess gravel. Surely with the advances in technology there must be a cost effective less mess orientated method available. Rant over :rant:

I never understand why they dont use a steam roller to fininsh off the job.... :bang:

They just put a layer of Bitumen on the road and drop new chippings on it. What is a steam roller going to do in that circumstance on such a thin layer? :shrug:

God I hate that stuff Soooo much!

Really don't see the point in it? They don't smooth out any lumps and bumps, just cover the roads in stones.

The amount of people that don't slow down when driving on the newly spread road grits my @*!#! 60 mph towards you and shower you in stones. :rant::angry::bang:

Really don't see the point in it? They don't smooth out any lumps and bumps, just cover the roads in stones.

+1 Tons of road noise, horrible to cycle on, then after a couple of years it starts to break up :doh:

Purely from an informative point of view

its done

1. because its cheaper than re-building the road

2. its used to re-seal the top layer

3. to add skid resistance

still hate it as much as everyone else though

The roller would push the chippings into the road surface :doh:

Really? push new chippings into an old existing surface? :lol: Like i said they are just redressing the road surface, they apply a thin layer of bitumen and spread and roll the new chippings onto it to stick into it but they dont do it with one of those large rollers. :shrug: