How do you remove the mirror cover?

Sarahhp18

Take the door trim of on the inside and remove the 3 bolts that hold the mirror - undo the wiring harness - that's the mirror off

now remove the glass as shown here

Capture.jpg

then do this

one problem with a complete colour change is how much you have to take apart to paint it!

Like the wing mirrors!

DSCF2101.jpg

How to do this -

remove the glass by popping the 2 clips from underneath

then remove the glass mount

DSCF2090.jpg

remove the screws from the bottom and behind the mount

then take this out

DSCF2093.jpg

pop the 2 plugs off

DSCF2098.jpg

you get to here

DSCF2094.jpg

now pull the motor out

DSCF2096.jpg

cut these 2 wirers (its easier)

DSCF2097.jpg

pull the pins out of the 2 plates

DSCF2099.jpg

now pull the wires out ONE AT A TIME (they will fit) through the hole in the motor

DSCF2100.jpg

remember where these go !!!

DSCF2088.jpg

more coming ...........................

Its quite hard to remove the cover completely tbh, i did the following when i painted mine.

1) remove door card and the black plastic trim on back of mirror.

2) unplug wires unscrew mirror base and remove.

3) on the bottom of mirror are a few screws, undo them and this will split the base from mirror.

4) i then removed mirror glass.

I didnt strip the mirror down any more than this, once the mirror casing was prepped i masked off the wires, plugs and base.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a slightly better method that does not involve cutting any wires or pulling the cable loom through the motor.

To separate the mirror housing from the door bracket you need to remove each wire from the white door connector. On wire end of the connector are two clips, remove these using a small flat bladed screwdriver. Each clip has a catch on each side. Just lever these over and the clips will come off.

To remove each cable, again use the smallest jeweller's screwdriver and pass it into the opposite end of the connector of each wire. On the connecting end of the connector the connecting holes are along the outside with holes to place a latch release tool (jeweller's screwdriver in this case). Placing the latch release tool inside will raise a small plastic lever of which the metal connector latches against to prevent it from being pushed or pulled out. When you get it in the correct position, the wire will pull out without any force. If you are pulling hard you don't have the latch released yet.

This is from memory. I will be removing the mirror on the weekend ready for the body shop on Monday along with bonnet, front bumper and spoiler so I will take a couple of photos to show you exactly where to put the screwdriver.