Numberplate Query

samu23

Hi Guys

Just a quick one as I am new to personalised number plates! My car originally came with a '54' reg. However the previous owner as put on a plate of CD02 ZED, less than legally written to look like COOL ZED.

Now I would like to go back to a 54 plate, can I get my original plate back from the DVLA?

Is the plate currently on my car worth anything? Or should I just scrap it?

Anything else I need to be aware of?

Sorry for all the questions!

Cheers

Sam

They cant gaurantee you will get your original plate back but every time ive put my original plate back on to seel my old car etc ive always had the same back. My advice would be go into a dvla office if you can and just ask them.

They cant gaurantee you will get your original plate back but every time ive put my original plate back on to seel my old car etc ive always had the same back. My advice would be go into a dvla office if you can and just ask them.

+1 ive had the same experience with my private plates.

As for the value, ive tried selling plates before through number plate dealers and you can wait years for someone to come along and buy it. People tend to know DVLA sell cheap plates these days and so thats their first point of call.

My mate sold his plate on ebay a few weeks back, and whilst he didnt get back what he paid for it, he got more then he thought and it was a nice quick sale.

that plate would have been bought off dvla or a dealer so as far as dvla are concerned its on a cherished transfer which would have cost an £80 transfer fee when put on your car. you have 2 options... pay £105 and retain the current number, that will get your old original number plate back on your car, as they like to retain originals these days... or secondly ask if you can have your old one back and if they say no then offer to pay the £80 to have it returned to the car. dvla do nothing for free buddy :thumbdown: