Cobra exhaust update/review

mrt

Received my new Cobra backbox and middle section with silencer on Wednesday on the date promised by Cougar stores.

The box was enormous with loads of padding boxes inside. After unwrapping i was a little dissapointed to see several scratches on the polished Cobra surface of the back box but as no one will ever see it i see no point in raising this issue.

Had the system fitted today by Tyre Spot in Darlington ( £ 40 ) and immediately noticed how lightweight it is compared to the stock system. No problems with fitting and the mechanic commented on the high quality of Cobra.

Visual inspection once the ramp was lowered was good but i am really dissapointed that the rear cans are secured by large circlips with ugly bolts that can clearly be seen.To be honest, i thought they would be welded on like the stock exhaust.They are also an inch or so shorter than standard so you can see that they are attached to a narrower pipe ( when standing close to the car.)

Firing the car up, i was pleased that on tickover there was not much increase in volume so i can at least warm it up before waking the neighbours.

Few minutes later i gradually increased revs and the reason i decided to change became perfectly clear again. great bellowing sound over 3500 revs and a snap, crackle, pop as you lift off.Very pleased so far.

Off for a twenty mile shopping trip with the wife who approved and said it wasn,t what she expected. ( my son had a big bore chavvy job fitted on his car years ago and she wasn,t happy.)

Gave the car some spirited driving arouns our country roads and very inpressed with the sound. Once on the dual carriageway i settled down into sixth at 2500 to 3000 rpm and was surprised at the level of drone inside the car.Quite uncomfortable really.

To avoid the drone i will need to drop down a gear and go for 3000 plus revs or drive like a senior citizen ( i am ) and do some serious cruising with the seat pulled as far forward as it will go.

Seriously, to summarise, yes it,s a well made exhaust at the budget end of the performance end of the ranges available. It does the job you expect and the car now sounds like a powerful sports car as it should.

I have filmed the two systems operating and will post as soon as i work out how !

New Y pipe from Cobra to fit next week , followed by high flow decats week after. then around to the front end to sort out induction.

Thanks for reading

rog...mrt

I have that drone with my set-up, i find as long as you're not actually on the gas accelerating through the 1800-2000rpm range then its pretty quiet, if i want to go through that range i drop down a gear....not perfect but can work around it, the drone can be ear bleeding in a that rev area, even my vision goes a little weird to the frequency!

Thanks for the responses guys.

Cougar warns of drone on the system without the mid box which is why i chose the mid on.

Not to worry though cause i won,t be doing too much low rev driving this year !

I,m also aware that the volume might well increase with the HFC,s fitted..... but it,s taking years off me !

Think my problems with the bolts on show might be fixable with a little adjustment.

Thanks again

Rog...mrt

agreed with the bolts/clamps on show, have positioned mine so you can't see the bolts from the rear of the car, just the band of the clamps.

Now mine have 'sooted' up you can't really see the pipes inside the tips, no bigger for me.

yeah mine drones as well (Resonated), so the other one must be ear bleedlingly loud :headhurt:

going to sound proof the rear at some point, see if that will help :)

other than that i think it's a great improvement over stock and certainly gets the car noticed B)

Neo.

Perhaps you will let me know when you fit the soundproofing and what results you achieve.

Until then i,m only gonna drive with the roof down ! and a hearing aid switched full on !

Never done any mods before but i,ve got " Zed fever " now so onwards and upwards. Need to spend my savings before my sons get their hands on them !

Gotta change my taste in music too.... Sinatra doesn,t sound the same in a Zed !

My Passat coupe is for everyday and 56 mpg. Zed is for driving over the Dales at weekends.

regards

rog...mrt

sorry to hijack your thread ....

do you sell a centre pipe non resonated (quieter!) alone?

I currently have Berk HFC's, Stillen Y pipe, Japspeed K2 rear, there is a horrid ear bleeding 1800-2000 rev range

do you think an extra muffler would reduce this?

sorry to hijack your thread ....

do you sell a centre pipe non resonated (quieter!) alone?

I currently have Berk HFC's, Stillen Y pipe, Japspeed K2 rear, there is a horrid ear bleeding 1800-2000 rev range

do you think an extra muffler would reduce this?

Extra muffler ? I get used to talking to yanks, mufflers are the backbox. :blush::lol: .. Stillen Y and berks combo complement most exhausts but I cant comment on Japspeed as its not a product I do or ever will sell unfortunately..

Plus if you want quieter then you want a 'resonated' exhaust or midpipe... Scorpion with your set up sounds awesome Jason B)

so your scorpion with resonated centre pipe would help?

Im not impressed with the Japspeed k2, its rusted very quickly and there's iffy rattle sounds,

To be fair Most back boxes will suffer from rust you just need to be liberal with autosol every so often :thumbs:

As Mitz says above..The Scorpion is just a quieter system so it's not intrusive with your other mods.

You could always sell the Ypipe and go for quiter true dual system, you would get better air flow with a true dual.

Neo.

Perhaps you will let me know when you fit the soundproofing and what results you achieve.

regards

rog...mrt

will do but might be a while before i get round to it :blush:

• 1 year later...