Gear knob removal help

twobears

Please don't shout at me but can anyone point me in the direction of a thread which tells (or preferably shows as well) you how to remove the existing gear knob and gaiter in order to replace them? I think I've seen a thread about replacing the knob but can't find it and I am guessing that you have to remove the console (is that even the right term?) in order to replace the gaiter?

Any help welcomed. Thank you :)

There is a thread on here somewhere. but google it and you'll find a diagram. You just have to pull out the gear surround part of the console (literally, it pulls out), then get yourself two sets of molegrips (one to hold the lever in place and one to twist the knob off) and you're all good. :thumbs:

DB

Lock the gear shift rod with a pair of molegrips preferably from underneath the car and simply unscrew the shift knob anti clock wise.

It will be tight so you may require a strong man with a good grip. :thumbs:

Alex :)

Thanks very much everyone. I suspect I may be too weak and feeble to do it myself so I've asked someone else to do it for me but he said it would be easier if I could tell him how to do it, which I now can :teeth:

Extract from the manual - and link from when I was searching to do mine (linky is below the manual extract):

It's not too bad, but you have to clamp the shaft pretty tight and the knob itself is held on with threadlock and so you have to grip that pretty tight too - see leonk's suggestion or use a couple of sets of molegrips (Vise grip)

post-5330-135011923631_thumb.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5297&hilit=Gear+Knob

Thank you very much everyone :)

Steve, I decided, probably against common sense to get the Nissan Alezan orange one (along with a matching gear gaiter from eBay), despite the fact that my seats are black. I am hoping to get a brake gaiter in the same colour to make things look as though they are meant to go together. I did love the look of the carbon fibre one but I rather like the feel of the OEM one in my hand so I decided to stick with what I knew!

I am hoping to carry on doing small mods (well, getting someone else to do them for me) so will keep checking what the traders are offering ;)

Thank you very much everyone :)

Steve, I decided, probably against common sense to get the Nissan Alezan orange one (along with a matching gear gaiter from eBay), despite the fact that my seats are black. I am hoping to get a brake gaiter in the same colour to make things look as though they are meant to go together. I did love the look of the carbon fibre one but I rather like the feel of the OEM one in my hand so I decided to stick with what I knew!

I am hoping to carry on doing small mods (well, getting someone else to do them for me) so will keep checking what the traders are offering ;)

No worries Annie the Carbon gear knobs are not for everyone, it all comes down to personal taste and preference :thumbs: