Camshaft sensor

chocohercules

More investigation work! I love tinkering!!......

I have just noticed when I disconnect the passengerside cam sensor! The car won't start......but when I start the car with the driverside cam sensor disconnected it starts and drives like normal (well in its currently poor running state? Is this normal? It was also covered In oil is this right too? Shouldn't the car start with either one of these sensors disconnected or is it normal? Cheers

That's what I'm now thinking as I took the sensor out and car starts and drives like normal with the sensor not even on the car? apart from the rough running that my car has! Surely if the sensor is off the car it should run even worse? Haven't checked them codes as I get P0335 crank position sensor. This has been changed still got my problems???could a dodgy cam sensor throw different codes and point to something else?

• 6 months later...

That's what I'm now thinking as I took the sensor out and car starts and drives like normal with the sensor not even on the car? apart from the rough running that my car has! Surely if the sensor is off the car it should run even worse? Haven't checked them codes as I get P0335 crank position sensor. This has been changed still got my problems???could a dodgy cam sensor throw different codes and point to something else?

Yes the car will start and run without the drivers side crank sensor in (when I was trying to get a Zed started we were swapping sensors from another Zed and found this out)

I don't recommend it though as it won't be able to monitor VVT!

The reason it won't start with the passenger side crank sensor out is because it uses this one along with the crank position sensor for timing so if that one is out the coil packs won't fire (or at least not in time)

Faulty crank position sensors can give some random errors and cause rough idle and running as can a damaged flywheels (the keyway on the back is used by the crank sensor for timing) as this is part of the baseline timing for the engine.

This is all from personal experience that tracked back to a faulty crank sensor - this can be found on the front edge of the gearbox near the clutch slave cylinder (assuming a VQ35DE engine)