LED indicators

KyleR

Has anyone tried to see how they work? I'm sure they will fit (581's) but are there any you can buy with build in resistors that will stop them from flashing too fast? I have seen error free ones, but apparently they won't stop the over flashing, but will stop any warning lights coming on?

I know I could do the easy thing of getting silver bulbs, but I fancy something a little different and LED's would match the side lights.

Cheers.

Has anyone tried to see how they work? I'm sure they will fit (581's) but are there any you can buy with build in resistors that will stop them from flashing too fast? I have seen error free ones, but apparently they won't stop the over flashing, but will stop any warning lights coming on?

I know I could do the easy thing of getting silver bulbs, but I fancy something a little different and LED's would match the side lights.

Cheers.

Are you sure they will flash to fast? I thought they were powered from the output of the BCM module with the flash rate being a software setting. I dont think they use the old type flasher unit

Cheers.

Type LED bulbs in to ebay search, and there are loads that come up. In the description section it takes you to the home pages with all the info on including the info on the resistors :)

Dicky - no I'm not sure they will flash too fast, that's why I was asking if anyone has tried them to see. I'm not very knowledgable on car electronics and don't even know what a BCM module is :surrender:

EH 370z - it's eBay where I seen loads of LED indicators. Some mention about having something built in to stop the warning light coming on and some come with resisters that should regulate the flashing, but I don't fancy wiring in resisters to the loom and finding somewhere to stash them.

Dicky - no I'm not sure they will flash too fast, that's why I was asking if anyone has tried them to see. I'm not very knowledgable on car electronics and don't even know what a BCM module is :surrender:

EH 370z - it's eBay where I seen loads of LED indicators. Some mention about having something built in to stop the warning light coming on and some come with resisters that should regulate the flashing, but I don't fancy wiring in resisters to the loom and finding somewhere to stash them.

I’m not completely sure but from what I see on the wiring diagrams I have access to the BCM (Body Control Module – it controls the operation of some of the electrical units, wipers, turn signals, washers, lights) operates the turn signal lights directly from its output terminals based upon signals received at its input terminals.

These units are normally controlled by internal software and in the case of the flashers will provide an output to drive the lamps at a rate determined by that software (as with the clicking noise you hear when your indicators are on)

Since led’s take far less current than a normal flasher bulb there would no danger of overloading the BCM o/p so no resistor required because of this. The LED however will normally require a resister in series with it to limit the current available from a 12v supply ie the o/p of the BCM (they work on something like 2v therefore the resistor has to drop 10v to protect the led itself)

Older cars using the old style flasher unit (which the Z doesn’t have) would probably require a resistor to control the flashing rate. I would imagine that replacing the flashers with leds would work fine so long as you are sure to connect the led’s correctly if connecting more than one to each flasher position.

Bit of a spiel I know but the best I can do to help. If anyone else is more up to date than I am with the old electronics theory involved they may jump in now to help :thumbs:

Sorry, it was my understanding that the resistors were in case you have a "Bulb Blown" warning in the car the wattage wasn't enough to register this with an LED so extra resistance was needed. Apologies if I am wrong :blush: