Road Tyre Review : kumho ecsta KU31

Neilp

This is a review of the Kumho ku31 tyres in size 245/35/19 and 275/35/19

After researching tyres for road use, as I have always used premium tyres as I tend to end up on track with my road wheels instead of the track wheels, I decided that I didn't need something too high performance for road use as I won't be running these on track at all as I will be running the r888's on the rays.

I done some reading and found the the kumho ku31 had some pretty reasonable feedback. I decided to take the plunge and try out these budget/midrange tyres. This is very unlike me as I always choose michelins or bridgestones.

On first fitting they don't look as pretty as the ps2's which you can't expect for half the price to be fair.

I ran them for a little while to wear off any protective coatings. Done a good few miles in them in cold damp conditions and dry warm conditions and I must say I'm very impressed by these.

For 530quid delivered a set, for 19", these are an absolute bargain! They feel much better in the damp than the re050a's and as smooth running as the ps2's. Pretty quite on rough Tarmac and very stable when being pushed through corners in wet/damp conditions.

As with all tyres the test is usually heat, so once the temps warm up I will get them out for a good old pounding and see how they cope.

I certainly wouldn't band these tyres as budget even though the price is in that range.

I will keep this updated

I'm running these on stock alloys and they're a bit soft for the standard 45 aspect ratio. They need higher pressures than Bridgestones (~38psi) and even then the fronts can get a bit wobbly under the weight.

Traction control rarely sees any action now and they have a slow/predictable break-away in the wet... Better than tyres that send you into a hedge without warning at 10mph faster!

Ride is smoother/quieter and wear is looking good as well, should last 20k miles.

I'm running these on stock alloys and they're a bit soft for the standard 45 aspect ratio. They need higher pressures than Bridgestones (~38psi) and even then the fronts can get a bit wobbly under the weight.

Traction control rarely sees any action now and they have a slow/predictable break-away in the wet... Better than tyres that send you into a hedge without warning at 10mph faster!

Ride is smoother/quieter and wear is looking good as well, should last 20k miles.

I think the falkens are similar to this as they feel too soft in the 45 profile also.

These tyres have great feedback with the e46 m3 guys. This is what swayed me to try them.

i've heard good things about them, but always stuck with falkens.

I was reluctant to go with falkens as I know they're probably not suites to my driving style as was the Toyo t1rs weren't. After loads and loads of trawling forums I came to the conclusion that these were a better choice.

I will keep everybody updated with wear etc.

If anybody else has experience of these in either size please post up but please keep it relevant to the 350z

Good to see you are trying something quite different to what your instincts would normally say.

When I had the 452 Falkens on 19" Nismo rims and pumped up to 38psi I found them fine for road use (wet a dry) including 'spirited' driving. Your initial thoughts about the Kumho's seem to be suggesting they may be offering similar capabilities for everyday road use. :thumbs:

Good to see you are trying something quite different to what your instincts would normally say.

When I had the 452 Falkens on 19" Nismo rims and pumped up to 38psi I found them fine for road use (wet a dry) including 'spirited' driving. Your initial thoughts about the Kumho's seem to be suggesting they may be offering similar capabilities for everyday road use. :thumbs:

Spot on mate, not gonna use them on track but just general drives around the country. I have the kumhos at 33psi at the moment and they feel fine. Might have a play around with them and see if they feel better or worse