Noise when car starts for 1sec sort of question

colindalton

When I start the car from cold for the first second I can hear what I think is a camshaft noise until the car gets oil on to them. First question is this common and someone said if you use magnatec this would happen as the oil would stick to the cams??

Probably timing chain rattle which is quite common :thumbs:

Alex :)

When I start the car from cold for the first second I can hear what I think is a camshaft noise until the car gets oil on to them. First question is this common and someone said if you use magnatec this would happen as the oil would stick to the cams??

Mines been the same since new, happens sometimes & not others :wacko: probably as Alex posted

• 2 weeks later...

So if its timing chain rattle on cold start ups, whats causing it? Is the timing chain tensioner to fault? Ive seen lots ant lots and lots of these threads saying rattle on cold start up and everyone says mine does it, dont worry, and its normal. But I've never read a thread that has given us a reason why its doing it or a fix to the problem. I suspect that the chain tensioner Isn't tensioning the chain for the 1 sec till the car fires and the oil pressure builds to make the tensioner work?? If that's the case does the tensioner not have a ratchet style plunger to stop the tensioner fully slackening off when the car turnes of and the oil pressure drops back to nothing?

Dont know if that all makes sense. But im interested to see an answer and solution to what seems to be a very common question / concern to 350z owners.

Yep, which i reckon the 350z has a tensioner that works on the oil pressure. But surely the tensioner shud have some kind of stop to stop it stackening off once car is switched of? Lots if people say its normal noise. But cant be normal if some 350's do it and not others?