caliper painting guide....

dunc1n1101

Hey guys,

If any of you have seen any of my last posts, you will notice that I am new to the modding scene but wanting to get right into it with my new Zed.

One of the first things I want to get done is to paint my calipers. I am going to buy red caliper paint BUT I dont really know what Im doing!!! lol.

Is there a guide at all on painting your calipers?? Everything from how to remove your calipers to what to paint and what to avoid painting etc.

Any help would be great.

Thanks guys

Dunc1n

Ive done this before on other cars and it really is a straight forward process. For the zed, my first step would be to look at the how you change brake pads guide as that covers pretty much all you need. You can paint the calipers on the car which saves you having to remove them completely and then rebleed the brakes.

With the actual painting, its just a case of cleaning the calipers up as much as you can. I usually use a wire brush attachment on a drill, or a hand wire brush and carefully clean all the dirt / old paint off. Its all about making sure the surface is clean and has a good key for the paint to stick to. You dont have to get all the old paint off, just make sure its not flaking and has a dull key to it. Make sure you dont scratch the calipers, and watch those bleed nipples.

I then use an airline to blow all the dirt / dust out of everywhere, else sometimes it can get stuck around the brake disc etc.

Depending on what paint your using, how you apply it may vary. I tend to use a tin of paint, same sort of stuff as you use for painting engines. I then use a small brush and carefully apply it to the caliper. Leave to dry, then if need be apply another coat. Id watch not to get too much around the holes where the brake pad securing clips go through else it will just flake off once you put the pads back in.

My replacement callipers are being collected tomorrow to head off to Godspeed in Wales for a full refurb and powdercoat.

It's not cheap but saves a lot of hassle and done properly.

Cost is in the £350 region.

My replacement callipers are being collected tomorrow to head off to Godspeed in Wales for a full refurb and powdercoat.

It's not cheap but saves a lot of hassle and done properly.

Cost is in the £350 region.

Powdercoating is defiantely the best way, but like Wasso says, not cheap.

Yeah i know powder coating is deffo the way forward but that will have to wait until a later date Im afraid.

In the mean time I'll just have to do it myself. They are looking pretty bad a the moment so even a DIY job on them will make a big difference.

Can anyone advise on the best paint to use?? I seen a few on?? There are some options here: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/paint

Cheers guys

I've sprayed the calipers on a few of my cars it's very easy. I just whip the wheels off, mask EVERYTHING up so no chance of overspray, give calipers a good clean with wire brush then a 800 grit wet sand to get it nicely prepped then give them a couple coats of spray. The spray I like to use is Hycote high temperate paint it's about £7 on eBay and its dry to touch in no time :) Good luck mate and get pics up once done ;)