Veilside V3 style bonnet

Removed

today I managed to trial fit the bonnet. it doesn't latch properly :( it seems as if the metal hook attached to the bonnet is not long enough to latch correctly! will have to see if the bodyshop can make it any longer :dry:

I also installed the Aerocatch bonnet pins, not easy but I managed.

couple of pics

Thanks mate, I have already moved the catch as high up as possible but measuring the metal latches on the 2 bonnets I can see why it doesn't catch properly. OEM is slighly over 2.5cm and the new one is slightly shorter than 2.5cm. It just doesn't reach deep enough to catch the locking mechanism :dry:

Will have to have a think on what I can do short of asking the bodyshop to make the latch slightly longer, somehow

mostly yes, the vents should cool the engine down more than the closed bonnet, though.

Especially the front and rear vent should allow for more cool air to flow in the engine bay and hot air to get out from the back vent.

But yeah, I just do it because I like it :teeth:

mostly yes, the vents should cool the engine down more than the closed bonnet, though.

Especially the front and rear vent should allow for more cool air to flow in the engine bay and hot air to get out from the back vent.

Has this been verified in a wind tunnel? ;)

The front vent seems quite small, and don't presume that because there is a hole in the bonnet which is fully in the wind that the air automatically gets "pushed" into that hole when driving fast.

Has this been verified in a wind tunnel? ;)

The front vent seems quite small, and don't presume that because there is a hole in the bonnet which is fully in the wind that the air automatically gets "pushed" into that hole when driving fast.

yeah i have a wind tunnel behind my shed at home, can confim 100% :rolleyes:

all vents present are actually into atmosphere, I will put a very fine mesh there though, in order to minimise water ingress.

for a start who said it's a heavier bonnet? I said they do feel similar, but haven't weighed them yet. You got other substantial info yourself?

secondly wanna bet that in the summer the vents are going to be doing exactly what they are supposed to be? easy to check, you'll see the engine heat coming out of them... (already been proven n the US, btw)

PS wanna bet my Z is well lighter than yours (bog standard, I might add ;) ) ?

I do like that bonnet - nice choice.

What prepping work did you need to do? I thought all Veilside stuff was pretty much there.

Is it actually Veilside or is it a Veilside copy?

And will you get it painted 'in situ' or off the car prior to fitting?

EDIT - sorry - just seen the thread title - Veilside style bonnet - it's a copy, hence the prep work needed. Hope you got a good deal! (I imagine the originals are v.v. expensive).

yup it's a copy.

tbh apart from the latching issue and me wanting to install the aerocatch locks the finish is quite good. The prepping I was referring to is the cutting I've done for the aerocatch, and light sanding around some edges, but that's it. surely a bodyshop would have charged for it though ;)

deal too good to be refused, tbh.

Will get painted with the bumper at the same time, not bothering with the wing blending tbh, shouldn't be an issue, but we'll see. Bonnet and bumper are same material so should be pretty good colour match, if done at the same time.