Heat shield required for JWT? Also idle problems..

lukekbrown

I fitted my JWT pop charger today but decided to not install the heat shield as I think it looks :thumbdown:

Obviously the heat shields role is to protect heat from the engine to the JWT or vice versa.

My question is will this affect performance or any other possible defects? As would prefer to fit the shield than cause damage.

I've also started to get idling problems with the JWT fitted :rant: The car starts fine, then the rev counter goes up then drops to 0 and cuts out. But if I slightly touch my accelerator it idles okay. What could this be? How do I fix the problem?

Thanks

Probably a stupid question but how do I check for air leaks?

I didn't remove the MAF sensor from the intake pipe when fitting the JWT, so that shouldn't be the problem? I might unplug and replug the MAF, see if that fixes it (Maybe it has to be reset?).

listen for hiss's or if you spray/smoke something non flamable you can see if you have a leak there.

Remember there is a small pipe that needs to be connected under the intake pipe.

Did you screw the maf in properly? sorry just read you didnt move it. The same sort of thing happened to me when I forgot to screw the maf in so thought it might be that.

Maybe put up a picture then someone can tell you if you fitted it right?

Looking at the positioning of the heat shield on the JWT, it's going to get heat on the filter whether the heatshield is there or not, I assume the filter needs to be enclosed completely to remove all heat soak?

If I left the heat shield off what am I really going to lose out on? If it's only a few hp then I'll live with that, ss I don't track my car, nor thrash it on the roads, just some spirited few hundred yards here and there :blush:

I think the fitment is really poor of the heatshielf and is more likely going to come off than stop heat soak! Maybe I am missing the point?

I think the fitment is really poor of the heatshielf and is more likely going to come off than stop heat soak! Maybe I am missing the point?

It will be fine Luke, it won't go anywhere once fitted correctly

Agreed they fit tight as a drum, I always thought about spraying mine as the gold does look out of place but then I am not an engine bay queen :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

It will be fine Luke, it won't go anywhere once fitted correctly

I found out that I had a rubber grommet missing, which supported the heat shield. So got a new rubber grommet and the heatshield fits great now :teeth:

Idle problems were sorted by doing an idle reset :thumbs: