Is it possible to turn off Passenger Airbag?

BK350z

Guys,

Has anyone attempted to turn their Passenger airbag off?

I have a second child on the way this summer and the scenario/topic of maybe you should change your car has popped up :blink:

If I can switch the airbag off then occasional trips in the Z with my daughter become a possibility... and the the Z's stays... Can't believe Nissan didn't fit a key switch for on/off or was it an option?

Otherwise :scare:

Nope its permanent only on <2004 cars.

There is a pressure sensor on the passenger seat which deactivates the airbag if the weight is less than adult. I cant remember exactly what it is but off the top of my mine i think its 50Kg( so it means a very petite chikita :cloud9: will not activate the passenger airbag ;)

Will check and see the full thread onmy 350z or the FSM as it should be covered there :)

Thanks guys, I thought about the fuse box but then thought it might disable the whole SRS which isn't what I want.

Daughter would be in there once a week maybe, rest of the time I'd like to know it would pop out for me should I be unlucky!

The weight switch is interesting though, any further info would be appreciated.

Nissan obviously doesn't want kids to sit in the front with all thoses "don't do it decals" so I would want to disable that side of the car physically for peace of mind.

Otherwise I've started eyeing up a Cayman S B)

Not very loyal, but it has a boot, iso fix and a switch for the airbag!

Cheers,

Bk

I'm sure somewhere I saw a kit that you could fit with a two position switch, Pos.1 airbag on, Pos. 2 re routes current through a 2.5 ohm resistor so the airbag didn't deploy but the system thinks it's still there so no airbag warning light issues.

I know Keyser has gone halfway there in his thread.

I was going to post you could do it with a DPDT switch and a resistor just s leonk says above. :)

However as GT4 Zed points out you may has a weight sensor as well - I don't see this actually being a problem if the original seats are staying as the resistor will fool the ECU or the airbag controler don't think the two are linked? The weight sensor will do its thing irrelevant.

I'll do you a wiring diagram if you want to give it a go :thumbs:

It's only for kids with rear facing seats no? I thought kids with front facing seats will be ok?

Tbh I'm not sure, but I know airbags are bloody powerful when they go off so wouldn't want to chance it with my toddler. It's a good point though, might ask my local dealer for their thoughts!

Cheers,

Bk

• 9 years later...
On 22/03/2012 at 17:29, leonk said:

I'm sure somewhere I saw a kit that you could fit with a two position switch, Pos.1 airbag on, Pos. 2 re routes current through a 2.5 ohm resistor so the airbag didn't deploy but the system thinks it's still there so no airbag warning light issues.

I know Keyser has gone halfway there in his thread.

thanks, for me a 2.7 ohm resistor works. I get a replace for the small cable between the harness the airgab and put the resistor here. So the original car harness is not modified. So that, when the chindren grows I will let the car unmodified

WhatsApp Image 2022-01-25 at 17.57.53.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-01-25 at 17.59.26.jpeg