Excessive Brake Squeaking.

Samueltastic

Most common cause is lack shims.

ie - when new pads fitted, the shims were'nt fitted with them.

Other causes are;

Type of pad. Some pad compounds are more prone to squeeling that others.

Pads incorrectly bedded in post fitment.

I've just had a nightmare with this problem. Will hopefully be getting it sorted over the weekend. Basically, the previous garage put new pads on, which were a racing compound and very squeaky. The also neglected to replace the shims. Tried copper greasing them. Worked great for about 100 miles, then came back, worse than before.

Ordered some standard brembo pads and some used shims from a dealer here. Will let you know how it goes.

Also, general build-up of dirt and brake dust around the calipers can exacerbate the problem, apparently.

As said, check the pads for shims. The front ones are adhesive and should be stuck to the back of the pad. The rears have adhesive shims with metal shims on top.

I found that when I replaced my discs and pads they squealed really badly at first. I did a bedding in procedure after a few hundred miles and the squealing disappeared completely. If the shims are there then I would try this as normal braking doesn't seem to bed the pads to the disc very quickly and they stay noisy.

OK so pads changed with front shims - squeal reduced significantly but still some noise from the rears. Will put those on next weekend when I have more time.

Brembo pads not as good at stopping the car, but they're good enough and the earsplitting shriek from the car has disappeared :thumbs:

OK so I put the rear shims on today. Made a big difference to the squeal, which has almost entirely stopped. I am still getting some if I brake a very low speed (<5mph) when the wheels are pointed hard left or right. Can anyone think why this would be?! Seems very strange..

Apart from that, it's bliss driving around in it now.

I've also noticed that the brakes are working much more effectively now. On reflection, it was probably a bit silly to only put the front shims on. That extra 1mm of thickness on the front pads was messing around with the brake pressure (or something). Note to others - put shims all round or not at all.

Cheers,

DT